Just a 79 camaro

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by PTC, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Detrailers

Detrailers Veteran Member

Sep 21, 2015
    Corinth TX
    very nice but you absolutely MUST get rid of those euro spec tail lights - to help you out, from the kindness of my heart you can send them to me and Ill send you my US spec units!!

2. PTC

PTC New Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Kloogaranna
    Time is flying. Took the car out for sunbath and springwash incl. testing leaks - need to move forward a drivers door glass - there was a leak in A pillar side. Another change is in engine compartment - old fashioned 350. Simply LS seems too costly but from another angle - too modern as well (simply having had quite a lot of work with those polycast wheels. And LS and poly wheels do not match).
    There is no restoration without surprises - this time there is no holes in block for attaching power steering pump - need to figure out how to have those.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. PTC

PTC New Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Kloogaranna
    Thanks for comments; Drilling and tapping new holes went well (using homemade bracket bolted onto water pump holes)- steering pump pulley was well aligned with others. Installed intake manifold, distributor, and carburetor. And there is a 50/60 chance that hood and air cleaner will see clearance problems with each other. Started installing temp sender and found out that missing knowledge where to fit it - either to the driver side of the engine block or onto the top of the intake manifold. I do need to reserve another hole in the water jacket for temp. switch to be used for switching electric fans as well.
    [​IMG]

4. Twisted72

Twisted72 Veteran Member

Nov 8, 2015
    New Albany, Indiana
    wow nice Camaro ..you got a lot done

5. Carolina Man

Carolina Man Member

Mar 18, 2017
    OK
  6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Those seals are for the bottom of the door.
    They go between the door frame and the interior panel.
    The retainers for the interior panel go through the holes in the seal.

Looking great!

7. PTC

PTC New Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Kloogaranna
    Excellent! Thank you; I need anyhow remove drivers side interior panel as during leak test there was a leak between the door glass and A-pillar part of the seal. I need to move door glass a bit forward. What should be a gap between the door glass and rear part of the door opening in order to prevent leaks?

8. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Leaks seem to be related very closely to the type and age of the weather seal used around the window.
    I've spent a few hours attempting to get mine to be leak free without perfect success.
    It doesn't leak in the rain but running water on the edge of the window with a hose will always allow a few drops inside. :(
    I don't know of exact measurements as the door adjustment comes into play also.

Adjust the windows as best as you can to get them to seal.
    Keep trying until you get it sealed nicely or the leaks are small enough that you can tolerate them.

Good Luck!

Oh... Temp sending unit for the gauge normally goes in the driver's side head between Cylinders 1 & 3.
    Some radiators have a port in them for a temp sending unit. If you have one there.... That port works well for a fan controller.

9. PTC

PTC New Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Kloogaranna
  10. PTC

PTC New Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Kloogaranna
    Small things are taking a time. Radiators - AC condenser and cooling radiator were installed, wiring was completed, steering pump did get reservoir from Opel and relevant hoses were done. For driving fans, an old fashioned analog dial was used.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]