Just a 79 camaro

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by PTC, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

and when you are done with it .Are you going to test it out on the Autobahn ?Lucky !

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    Dkmurdock likes this.
  2. PTC

PTC New Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Kloogaranna
    Well bahns are far a way from my country. Here we have rather good soil and climate conditions for lot of speedcams.

3. PTC

PTC New Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Kloogaranna
    Got inner fenders in:
    [​IMG].
    Without inner fenders front fenders were not much aligned with extensions - however after having inner fenders installed also extensions were much better lined up.
    Rest of month was spent on electrics - testing it. Not much sparks and flames, however some things were necessary to rebuild. It took a wild to understand why rear turns are flashing together with stop lights - but root cause was wiring harness following american stop/turn way - so it was fixed to european one. Another challenge was installing keyless entry - took a half day to figure out where to connect outputs from keyless controller - but now its done with additional 2 relays and working as well.

4. mickstan

mickstan Veteran Member

Jun 11, 2012
    E'ville, IL
    SPEED CAMS!!!! Oh man I'm glad we don't have those here!

5. PTC

PTC New Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Kloogaranna
    Rear window was installed. 2 attempts needed in learning curve - first time I did use 9,5 mm butyl as dam and urethane on edge. Appeared that 9,5 mm is too much - so as window is curved - sides did not set in place + glass was too high on top for installing moudlings. So i needed to cut glass out and try again. Second time 8 mm round butyl tape was used which was better - still glass was sitting bit high on top - but after upper moulding clips stretched a bit - moulding did set on place.
    [​IMG]

Another status change was dash install. Found out that its quite challenging to get lower dash panel gaps being good.

[​IMG]

Was able to turn on Retrosound stereo first time. Exceed expectations:)

Dkmurdock likes this.
  6. loyal guardian

loyal guardian Veteran Member

Aug 28, 2013
    helena mt
    if you are still working on wiring, may i suggest a spare 6 slot fuse panel

[​IMG]

you can hardwire it to the battery or to the fuse box in an accessory slot, to give you more options that the original box doesnt have. it also makes it easier to trouble shoot when you dont have to go through a bunch of wire splices.

7. PTC

PTC New Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Kloogaranna
    Thank you - however i do afraid that sending it overseas costs too much;

8. Detrailers

Detrailers Veteran Member Gold Member

Sep 21, 2015
    Corinth TX
    What I would give to get some of those euro spec taillights!

9. PTC

PTC New Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Kloogaranna
    Instrument panel insert - as still having in mind Lx as engine - did catch insert from 81 Camaro with embedded check engine light. Aluminium inserts were not so good + some scratches as dents there and there. Had to repaint the edges, and remove aluminium inserts - sand those with 240 grit (thanks to youtube for hints) to have brushed aluminium look - painted and clearcoted:.

[​IMG]

10. PTC

PTC New Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Kloogaranna
    Finally interior is there - like a real car from inside:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Looking from youtube - "carpet installation is easy" - yeah its easy you will just throw it into car from 10 yards. If good look is something - steaming out those wrinkles is nightmare..
    Now I am trying to get hood gaps looking good - fender to hood gaps at windshield are about 3 mm, but at nose about 5 mm. And i believe there is no more room at nose side to squeeze. Going back to windshield side - adding one 3 mm shim to fender bolt (up to door hinge) did just cause fender to hood gap increase in one side - leaving other side as it was. Is there any trick available to get those gaps even?
    [​IMG]
    and other side
    [​IMG]
    Anyhow i need to move hood towards front as well, but at moment focusing on hood to fender gaps.
    And finally - as most of the car was in different boxes when purchased - any idea what for those rubber seals are? Any connection at all with 2nd gen camaro? Having 2 of those.
    [​IMG]

Dkmurdock likes this.