Jumpy speedo

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by 7.62fmj, Oct 21, 2017.

1. 7.62fmj

7.62fmj Member

May 16, 2017
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Hey my Speedo is jumpy up to about 25mph and makes a ticking sound that increases with speed.

I pulled the cable out cleaned and lubed the cable and the sleeve, but it's still doing it. No visible damage to the cable.

Do I just need to give it some driving time to settle in or is something else wrong?

2. rocket dawg

rocket dawg Veteran Member

May 5, 2015
    Grand Rapids Mi
    The inner cable needs to be lubricated. You can disconnect it from the back side of the speedo and pull it out a ways and spray a gel style grease inside the cable housing. If its been doing it forever, you may need a new cable.

3. 7.62fmj

7.62fmj Member

May 16, 2017
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Pulled the cable out and greased it with lithium spray. Sounds better, but still jerky at low speed. Is there a visual way to see if it needs replacing? It looked fine when I cleaned it.

4. Burd

Burd Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Detroit Mi
    Make sure the routing has smoothe bends. My 78 did that, they were still avail at the dealer, I replaced them, prob disco'd now

5. phat80

phat80 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Victoria BC
    JM2cW This is the beginning of the end for your speedo cable, or the drive gear in the trans, start looking for a replacement. The drive cable is twisting inside the outer cable. I realize you have pulled the cable to clean and lube but next time you have it out look carefully at the drive (trans) end of the cable.

The end of the cable is a square drive you will probably notice the shoulders of the square drive are just starting to wear off so the cable can slip until it kind of jambs itself in the gear socket but then it has a slight twist causing the bounce. If the cable is not the problem then start looking at the receptacle in the gear.

6. 7.62fmj

7.62fmj Member

May 16, 2017
    Jacksonville, Fl
    A bit of a noob question... My cable is attached to some adapter looking thing that I was told in another thread is called a bullet.
    https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMz6hmYKjRVknzTSpgflseyFs6XboLwMBiCajbI
    The cable is tight into that piece, but it's a little loose on the transmission side. I was told that that's ok, but I have a hard time believing that. How tight should the bullet or whatever that is be? Could it affect the speedometer?