jroach's berlinetta build:350 revisited

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by jroach, Mar 15, 2011.

1. jroach

jroach Veteran Member

Apr 9, 2007
    petersburg MI
    I "finished" my camaro just in time for my highschool grad party two years ago. i had a stockish 350. headers and an intake were the extent of my go-fast parts. a couple of months later i pulled the engine and put a slightly bigger cam in it. i got to drive it maybe 3 or four times before i spun four rod bearings and a main bearing. i pulled it and put my pathetic 2 barrel 305 back in its place.two years later i finally saved up the cash to rebuild the motor.
    ill be picking up the block and rotating assembly from the machine shop tomorrow and dropping my heads off to be re-surfaced.

engine will be a 355 with flat tops and ported 993s that flow 188 @19 in. water and .50 lift on the intake and 132 @19 in. of water and .50 lift on the exhaust. i have yet to cc the heads as i am waiting til after they have been resurfaced,but im guessing they will come in some what more than the stock 76ccs as i did open up the chambers around theintake valve. i know the big chambers arren't ideal but they'll get me by until i can afford better, these were free.

the cam will be the comp xe 254 from before, probably use 1.6 roller rockers to gain alittle more lift.
    intake will be a regular edelbrock performer with a q-jet topping it all off.

right after paint

[​IMG]
    assembled
    [​IMG]
    intake
    [​IMG]
    exhaust
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

more pics coming soon!!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  2. pokey_159

pokey_159 Veteran Member

Nov 17, 2009
    St.Louis, MO
    ur car looks sweet, and even better with the l88 hood! keep it up

3. GOLF72

GOLF72 Veteran Member

Jan 11, 2010
    CORONA, CA
    Glad you are on the board...Your project looks very nice.

4. david.cordle

david.cordle Veteran Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Killeen, Tx
    Keep the pics and updates comming!!!

5. jroach

jroach Veteran Member

Apr 9, 2007
    petersburg MI
    been awhile since i started this thread, here is another pic of my car. also my motor partially mocked up on the stand.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. GOLF72

GOLF72 Veteran Member

Jan 11, 2010
    CORONA, CA
    Welcome....i love it

7. andrew69_04

andrew69_04 Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Berthoud CO
    looks good. I hope you had them do a new valve job to those heads before you assembled them

8. jroach

jroach Veteran Member

Apr 9, 2007
    petersburg MI
    i did the valve job. i have done every thing but the machine work on the block.
    ive been really busy lately trying to work and keep up on my independent study. i also painted my uncle's harley for him.
    do'in work!

im going to try to get the engine fully dressed this weekend so i can drop it in one evening next week, or next weekend. we'll see.

9. jroach

jroach Veteran Member

Apr 9, 2007
    petersburg MI
    not much progress lately engine and trans are ready to go in, but i managed to ruin my good tilt column. i will have to put the standard one back in , hopefully next week after im done with class.

10. jroach

jroach Veteran Member

Apr 9, 2007
    petersburg MI
    she lives!

i have not posted on this thread in awhile, so here goes.
    i was able to get the motor installed last june, but my buddy that was helping me decided it would be a good idea to stick his finger in the motor mount to check the alignment. motor moved. fiinger gone. that set me back quite a bit.i lost my help for awhile, and i really didnt feel like working on it much any way. once i finally got going on it a little, i realized that i forgot the oil pump drive shaft, soo i had to lift the motor, pull the pan and install that. i also had to pull the trans multiple times due to a misaligned shift fork and an incorrect throw out bearing.
    after the last 2 weeks straight of working on the car every night after work and all weekend.finally got it started and broke in. but of course that didn't come easy either after fighting it for a week i discovered that i had installed the cam over 100 degrees out of phase. but it finally runs. i haven't really stepped on it yet waiting to get ssome more easy miles on it. ialso need to get a differenty carb as i am currently borrowing one. once i do that i will really be able to get it tuned in.

some recent progress pics:
    new carpet!
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    new and not so new audio equipment
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    motor mocked up on stand about a year ago
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]