JohnL71RS’s Project restart…..

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by JohnL71RS, Nov 11, 2010.

1. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    Thanks Dave.

2. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    Thanks Reb and joshp01 for the comments and the measurements

3. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    looking good, thanks for all the pics. I will need to measure my pass side 1/4 to the frame rail when I go to fit the driver side 1/4. That's a good idea.

4. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    Here is the pic of the bottom of the 1/4 at the door. I cut off the bottom of the quarter and tacked to the rocker panel. I had to keep grinding the 1/4 down till it slid over the pieces that was tacked on. I think i will grind down the 1/4 a little more because i like a small gap when welding butt joints. Everyone can get what i am trying to accomplish. Hopes this helps others.
    [​IMG]

The reason behind this method was i wanted to keep the seem between the 1/4 and the rocker. Some people like to just weld up the seem. I wanted to stay true to as original as possible. It is a little more work, but worth the end result.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  5. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    No progress.

Weather, family events took up most of the time. Hopefully work on car this weekend. Thanks for checking in.

6. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    Update for Saturday

Saturday I spent time on the rear panel to ¼ panel fit on the passenger side. When I originally replaced the rear panel years ago, I welded up the seams. Needless to say, when taking off the ¼, I damaged the rear panel. I had to close up a gap so I made a lip piece and tacked it to close the gap. I cut off that part of the rear panel in demolition of the ¼. Here are the pics of the repair.
    [​IMG]
    After I checked the fit before welding
    [​IMG]
    After I welded the patch on
    [​IMG]

I also kept bending, clamping, and tweeking the gap between the top of the rear panel and the 1/4 till it is nearly gone. After the repairs, I took some pics to show the gap on the fit.
    [​IMG]
    Put the bumper on to check alignment.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, the fit is real close. The only section I am still working on is the lower section. I can get whatever gap I want, but now I will start the trunk extension fit.

Didn’t get anything done Sunday, very bad storms and wind all day. It was blowing mostly into the garage. Didn’t want to get moisture in the garage and it was just a miserable day. Will work on more next weekend. Thanks for checking out my progress.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  7. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 4, 2003
    SC
    Nice work! Looks good. Weather is bad here too so helping my wife take down wall paper and prep walls for paint. It's cold in the garage!

8. Teamchevy

Teamchevy Veteran Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Nice job John!

Dave
    :bowtie:

9. volsfan

volsfan Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2008
    daytona beach, fl
  10. Done Yet?

Done Yet? Veteran Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Fort Pierce, Florida
    Looks like you almost have it ready to weld, Good job taking the time to fit that 1/4 correctly John.