JohnL71RS’s Project restart…..

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by JohnL71RS, Nov 11, 2010.

1. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Yes, others said it's best to put the 1/4 panel on and then put the trunk dropoff panel in place and tack it in.

Nice work John, keep it coming!

2. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    I need some help. Can anyone with the leaf springs in the stock mounts please take a measurement from the inner side of the spring to the bottom edge of the 1/4. below is a pic of what i need.
    [​IMG]

Both sides please. My trunk extension and 1/4 end up in two different places. With the measurement i can tell whether to pull the 1/4 to the tr extension or get the tr extension to go out further to the 1/4. Stock cars that haven't replaced their 1/4's would be better, but i will take all i can get.

This would be greatly appreciated. Need measurements from a couple of people so i can continue with the 1/4 alignment.

thanks,

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  3. 73Camaro383

73Camaro383 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 29, 2010
    texas
    Well mine are stock quarters on my 73. The drivers side is 8 inches to the point on the lower quarter. The passengers is 7.5 to the point. Measuring from the leaf like you did. Either my leaf is off or from the factory they had loose tolerances. No signs of any wrecks on my car either. Kind of heard to believe the leaf is off a half inch in the stock mount

4. 73RS/LT

73RS/LT Veteran Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    John, I've got stock quarters on my 73 as well. I'm getting 8 1/4 on the passenger side and 7 3/4 on the drivers side. So, I'm seeing the same 1/2 discrepancy that vtmv2007 is, except my gap is wider on the passenger side while his is wider on the drivers side. Hope that helps. You're doing good work!

5. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    Update to 1/4 panel install

These pics have been over the last couple of weeks. The first set is from the pillar frame repair. The pics are of the areas damaged, pieces I fabricated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I had to cut off the bottom of the 1/4 panel in front of the wheel. Then tack down under the pillar. I will weld the seem in final install.
    [​IMG]
    The pieces tacked in. This is temporary, I will break tacks to weld in ¼ bottom 1st then pillar frame second. Only test fit first.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    1/4 panel test fit

Here are some pics of the ¼ panel test fitted. The first pic is of the gap of the ¼ to door.
    [​IMG]
    The whole 1/4 side view.
    [​IMG]
    Back view to rear panel
    [​IMG]

And I had to put my rear tire under the car to see how it looks. This made my day.
    [​IMG]
    And a view from the rear.
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow I will cut the back of the trunk extensions so they fit to the brace for the rear panel. More pics to come.

Thanks for everyone for checking out my thread.

7. Teamchevy

Teamchevy Veteran Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Great job John! Keep it up!!

Dave
    :bowtie:

8. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 4, 2003
    SC
    Looks good John, very nice job on the patch panel fab on the inner door jam! Also if you spray some gray spray bomb primer down the front 1/4 jam a few inches wide on the outside you will be able to get a better look at how your door to 1/4 gap will look.

Instead of measuring from the leaf spring I would measure from the inside of the opposite frame rail to the 1/4 lip and see what you have. I think the springs may have play in them. I would think the frame rails or some other fixed point would provide a more accurate reference.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  9. joshp01

joshp01 Veteran Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Amarillo, Texas
    Looking great man! Lots of hard work so far for sure. I also measured my back quarters and I had 8" passenger and 8.125 driver

10. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    Here is another pic with the 1/4 painted on the edge to get a better idea of my door gap. Its over an 1/8" above the middle bodyline and a tight 1/8" the rest of the way down. The bodylines are real close too. I think it will do, but will put on and take off probably 20 more times.
    [​IMG]