JohnL71RS’s Project restart…..

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by JohnL71RS, Nov 11, 2010.

1. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    Thursday I was busy working on the ps wheel housing. I grinded the lip where the spot welds were.
    [​IMG]
    Then i used the air chisel to break it off. Came off real easy. The only place that was a PITA was the lower section behind the door.
    [​IMG]
    I finally got everything off and grinded down.
    [​IMG]
    After many times of triming and bending I got the new wheel housing temporarily in place.
    [​IMG]

Today I will be fixing all the dented inner frames and patching the rusted areas. Will have more pics tonight or tomorrow.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  2. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    Yesterday wasn't too productive. I only repaired spots I damaged during removal of panels and fixed a few rusted areas. I had to take out a little time setting up my welding machine for the new .30 wire. Never used this size before so i had to practice on different amps to figure out what type of welds to do.

Here are a couple of spots that I cut off the rust and replaced with new metal.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Next piece
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Will be out there again today. More updates to come.

3. 73BadBob

73BadBob Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 29, 2008
    san Antonio, Texas
    John you work looks awesome.

4. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
    ^+1

5. Teamchevy

Teamchevy Veteran Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Great job John!!

Dave
    :bowtie:

6. Done Yet?

Done Yet? Veteran Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Fort Pierce, Florida
    Moving right along John, Good looking metal work on your patches.

7. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    Thanks for the compliments everyone. I am trying to rid the ps frame of rust. I spent all day yesterday testing the ps 1/4 then fixing the rust on the lower pillar frame. I cut out the rusted metal and made a new piece. Ran out of time last night and couldn't get everything primed and sprayed with weld through primer. Today it is turning very cold down here. So I will spend most the day with the family and then enjoy the Saints game tonight. I think the weather is going to get warmer for next weekend.

Will update with pics once the repair is finished. Thanks for checking out my progress.

8. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 4, 2003
    SC
    Looking good...moving along on patch at a time. I remember that feeling like it was yesterday!

9. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    I have a question for you guys. Did anyone have this problem on the trunk extensions.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The trunk ext comes out further than the inner brace. I tried the 1/4 with the ext off and on and it bends to either. Should i modify the existing brace behind the rear panel or should i modify the tr extension to go behind the brace.

I think i need to modify the tr extension. the brace behind the rear panel is straight from left to right. Modifying it would put a bend in the rear tr panel. Any suggestions from you guys who had changed your tr extensions would be appreciated. thanks,

10. Mike E

Mike E New Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Toleod Ohio
    John, I think you have to put on your quarter panel and get it fitting into the notch on the drop off panel. Tack it on then push it over to minimize the gap on the tail panel. I am doing the driver side drop off panel on mine now and the repo drop off i bought is not bent right. I had to bend it another 10 to 15 degrees to get it close. It is also maybe 1/4" lower than the original where the brace welds on to it. I am no expert but i think you got to put the quarter on before you can move it to the tail panel. I will be finishing mine right or wrong tomorrow and will post some pictures for what they are worth.