JohnL71RS’s Project restart…..

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by JohnL71RS, Nov 11, 2010.

1. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    No progress this weekend. Washing machine died and I had to shop for one and replace asap. Then I had to cut the grass and cleanup yard. Folks coming to my house for Thanksgiving. Will be off Wed thru the following Tues. Should get some work done on the Camaro.

2. 73BadBob

73BadBob Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 29, 2008
    san Antonio, Texas
    I vote for move the 1/4 panel and 1/8 of an inch and move the door the rest.

BUT ITS NOT MY CAR... You do what you think is best.

LOOKING GOOD buddy. AND I am glad we got to meet in person.

3. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    Bob,
    I think that's what I am going to do. The door is pretty much where it needs to be.

I just received my wheel housing for the ps side this morning. Now i need to get threw Thanksgiving and i have 4 days to work on her. I will try to do some things tomorrow, since i will be off. But still cleaning up around house.

Thanks for checking out my progress.

4. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    Made some progress in the last few days. Been cutting off the metal left after cutting off the quarters and trunk extensions. I have found some rusted areas under the quarters. So I have been making templates and cutting new pieces to replace the bad areas. I also had to get some materials to mount my vise to my bench so i can start making my bends in my new pieces. Will have most of the day tomorrow and some of Monday to do more work. Wife wants me to decorate outside for Xmas, so i might loose some time tomorrow. Will update soon with more pics.

5. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    Update over Thanksgiving

Update to my madness. I drilled out about a couple of hundred spot welds. Then I had to grind some of them that I couldn’t get to with the cutter and chiseled off the metal very delicately. I completed everything except the metal behind each door. I did cut the spot welds on the passengers’ door. Just never got chance to chisel off. I still have to align the drivers door before I cut off the metal under the door.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also cut off the majority of the passenger outer wheel housing. I had to remove the rest of the undercoating from the wheel housing. To whomever this pertains, I read in someone’s thread to heat the undercoating up with a heat gun and use a putty knife to scrape it off. Thank you, it worked perfectly. Then I drilled out some of the spot welds. On the area where the outer housing spot welds to the car, I counted 45 spot welds from the trunk to the center of the housing. Not going to use the spot weld cutter here. I will just use the mini grinder with a disc to grind threw most of the metal. Then I will hit it with the air chisel and it should come right off.
    [​IMG]
    I spent 4 days on this and making replacement pieces for rusted out metal that was under the ¼’s and the roof. I will also have to fix the drivers wheel housing. A little bit of rust damage at the lower section.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have a patch panel for the lower ¼ and I will use it to fix the damage.

Will be working on it this weekend. Thanks for stopping by.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  6. spons

spons Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Indy
    This is the kind of info you don't get from the "experts" behind the paint counter. The Sherwin-Williams guys think I'm nuts to paint bare metal with epoxy primer.

Great job. I like the Citrus Green that pokes through now and then.

7. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    Spons,

Sorry to say that the original green will be history. going with a Blue similiar to 73Badbob with strips done in a dark blue pearl. That's the idea today. thanks for checking out my thread.

8. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    I have a question for everyone. Does anyone have a good plan about doing away with the lip on the wheel housing. I know I read someone’s thread about cutting off both the wheel housing and ¼ lip and welding in a ¼ bar around the opening. I think 1/4 round bar is a little too big. I was also thinking of just cutting both off and seal welding the entire lip. But the round bar does give more support for the opening. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I can get a 12.5” tire under the wheel wells when I bent over the wheel well lip. Below is a pic of my wheel well after I cut it off.
    [​IMG]

9. 73BadBob

73BadBob Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 29, 2008
    san Antonio, Texas
    YOU CAR IS NAKED !!! :eek: :eek:

Put some metal on it and cover it up! :D

looks good. looks like mine did a year ago.

10. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    I have been off since Wed. Wed was very cold down here so i had to put together my new Christmas present. I had to modify the pit, it came with a steel drip pan so i went to my friends stainless shop and got them to make the pan in stainless.
    [​IMG]

Not a great pic, but it looks good and cooks fast.