JohnL71RS’s Project restart…..

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by JohnL71RS, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Teamchevy

Teamchevy Veteran Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Lookin' good John! Looking forward to seeing the quarters done! ;)

Dave
    :bowtie:

2. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 4, 2003
    SC
    Just found your thread John...looks like you have a good aim on things so far. My brother lives a little north of you in Baton Rouge. He moved out there to work after Katrina and met a girl and got married and now hes stuck far from home (South Carolina) in cajun country LOL.

3. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    Reb,

Thanks for checking out my thread. I know many people who stayed after Katrina. Baton Rouge is growing rapidly since Katrina. I live about 1 1/2 hrs south of BR. Behind me is the swamp, then the Gulf of Mexico. The Barataria Reserve National Park is behind my neighborhood. Quiet but hot and lots of mosquitos.

4. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    I finally setup the car for the quarters removal. Leveled the car, took many measurements and put the jack stands under the rear axle. I tack welded in a brace across my trunk divider, since there is no trunk divider.
    [​IMG]
    I then changed my truck lid. took it out the box for the first time in 15 years. Major disappointment. Bad dent in driver side corner. Tried to fix it and did more damage.
    [​IMG]
    Then i started the removal of the patches I already fixed on the passenger side quarter.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  5. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    After the patch removal I started on the full quarter removal.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After that I proceeded to remove both trunk extensions.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Today I had to do some blood workup at the doctor's office. It was also raining pretty good this morning. I am about to go back out in the garage and start the removal of all the metal i left from the quarter removal. I just cut close to all the edges. Now the fun part of drilling out all the spot welds and cleaning up the metal. Will have more pics later.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  6. Done Yet?

Done Yet? Veteran Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Fort Pierce, Florida
    Looks like your off to a good start John, But like you said now the fun part dealing with all of the spot welds...:screwup: and getting all of your edges cleaned up and primed getting it ready to except the new 1/4. Are you going to sand and prime under the new quater and all of the metal the quater covers before welding up the new 1/4?

7. Teamchevy

Teamchevy Veteran Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Looks like you made a lot of progress today John! Way to go!

Dave
    :bowtie:

8. 73BadBob

73BadBob Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 29, 2008
    san Antonio, Texas
  9. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    Rob,

Yes, once I have everything test fitted and ready to weld in, I will sand the back of the 1/4's and the frame behind the quarters and put a coat or two of epoxy or zero rust. Still not sure about the zero rust. I have used epoxy for many years and no rust. When i sanded my roof in 1993 down to metal. there was alot of pitted surface rust. It originally had a vinyl roof. I sanded all the rust areas and used epoxy. Still looks like the day i sprayed it. I would like everyone's opinions on both products.

Dave,

It looks that way, but it only took about 5 mins per quarter to cut off. Less for the trunk extensions. That's was easy. Been fighting the spot welds all afternoon. I am still on the fence about removing my rear panel that I replace years ago. I did buy a new one. it was a pain in the ass to get all the quarter and trunk ext off behind the rear panel. Spent over 4 1/2 hrs just on the trunk ext and quarter cleanup at the rear.

Bob,

You da man!! You are far more along than me. I will be happy just to get the quarters finished by the 1st of the year.

I thank all of you for checking out my progress. Yall keep me inspired.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  10. 73BadBob

73BadBob Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 29, 2008
    san Antonio, Texas

NO you are SUPER MAN !! I'm almost three years into my project!