JohnL71RS’s Project restart…..

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by JohnL71RS, Nov 11, 2010.

  1. JohnL71RS

    JohnL71RS Veteran Member

    1,606
    19
    Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    thanks Jason,
    still lots to go, but hope to finish trunk in a week or two
     
  2. JohnL71RS

    JohnL71RS Veteran Member

    1,606
    19
    Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    I sanded all the grill parts and trimmed to fit as needed. I then routed out 3/32” out where the perforated metal will be under the rings on the panels. I took a break from the trunk part and had a friend come over and we tacked on the exhaust tips. Then I took the exhaust off the car for him to put the tacks larger. Reinstalled and another accomplishment.

    Sunday, I mostly worked on the battery tray. After looking at many different scenarios, I decided the scratch all my previous ideas and go get a new plastic bottom and hold downs to install the battery. I decided to screw the tray down instead of epoxying brackets to the trunk. I just never wanted the battery to accidentally get loose and slide sideways damaging the rear quarter. I got the tray and batter installed and ready to use. Next, I unbolted the amp from the board and removed the board to paint black. I ran the new wire for the sub-woofer and connected my lead and ground to the amp. Then proceeded to mount the amp and board back in place in the trunk. I took out the sub box and laid out more braces for the panels to attach to. I put the carpet in and installed the sub box. I bolted it in and installed the sub-woofer.

    I will start on the leather this week. Thanks for checking out my progress.
     
  3. hoppin5478

    hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    488
    73
    Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    I can't wait to see the finish trunk all wrapped, you do some really nice work!
     
  4. JohnL71RS

    JohnL71RS Veteran Member

    1,606
    19
    Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    Thanks. maybe after this weekend i hope.
     
  5. JohnL71RS

    JohnL71RS Veteran Member

    1,606
    19
    Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    This weekend I tried to finish the trunk panels. I wrapped the front and sides with no issues. The rear panel had some bad spots that needed filler. I also had to trim both sides down to get the panel to fit correctly with the side panels already covered in leather. I got the rear and hump section cover just in time on Sunday night. Here are some pics of the trunk.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]


    The last thing to do is clear the grills and glue together and mount somemore brackets for the panels. I am also going to scale down the Velcro strips sizes. I have over 1-inch strips in multiple places and it might be hard to pull off when needed. Probably go down to 3/8”. Thanks for checking out my progress.
     
  6. Double R Restorations

    Double R Restorations Veteran Member Gold Member

    2,624
    18
    Jan 11, 2002
    VA
  7. John Wright

    John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    13,932
    42
    Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
  8. JohnL71RS

    JohnL71RS Veteran Member

    1,606
    19
    Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    Thanks guys.
    The plan for the weekend is to get the car on the ground and drive under it's own power. I changed the accelerator pump on the front bowl and replaced the gaskets on the squirters. hopefully that will stop all my leaks. I made an appointment for the car to go out and get the headliner stretched and glued in on the Monday before Thanksgiving. i am going to get an appointment to get all the glass put in afterwards. Stay tuned.
     
  9. JohnL71RS

    JohnL71RS Veteran Member

    1,606
    19
    Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    I worked most of the weekend on getting the car on the ground. But I had to finish making the brackets to hold in my panels. After making the last of the brackets I put the rear tail lights in and installed the panels with no luck. I didn’t do a final fit before I wrapped the leather. The panels wouldn’t fit past the light buckets, so I had to cut down the panels to fit. Then the board that the amp was on was stopping the buckets too. I had to take it out and cut down the size to allow the buckets to fit. All seems to be well now.


    Unfortunately, I didn’t tighten any of the bolts on the 4-link. I stayed under the car tightening up those bolts, connecting the rack and pinion and misc. bolts here and there. When dropping the car to the floor, the front frame almost hit the floor. I forgot to tights up the nut under the coil over to adjust the height of the car. That took well over 2 hrs. and was very painful. Those nuts don’t turn very easy and my wrench was cutting up my hands. I got the car on the ground, but the front is still kind of low. I might have to come up a few more threads on the shocks. Besides that, I am cleaning up the garage and outside to get the car to the front yard. My neighbor is letting me use his trailer to get the car to its appointments next week. I will try a test load of the car with him. It might make it easier for the next time when I am by myself. Moving forward feels good. Thanks for checking out my progress.
     

Share This Page