JohnL71RS’s Project restart…..

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by JohnL71RS, Nov 11, 2010.

1. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    I started putting the rest of the heat/sound barrier up on the roof yesterday. I ordered my entire interior this week and its scheduled to be here today. I also got the correct shocks in this. i will put them on as well. I did get the selector shaft seal replaced and the pan on. now i have to see when i get home if the damn thing is still leaking.

2. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    On Saturday, I finished up on the roof with the heat/sound deadener. Talk about back issues. It was tough, but it looks great and should keep the heat down.

[​IMG]

On Sunday, I glued the rubber on my window stop and installed.

[​IMG]

I took off the loaner rear shocks. Then I put my new rear coil over shocks together. Then installed. They look great and I adjusted them some. I will have to get the correct height after the car is on the ground. The rest of the day I worked on flushing the rusty water out of the car. Since the car is in my cluttered-up garage, I had to keep emptying the radiator into a bucket, then filling it back up and running the car. I finally got the radiator pretty clean and added some heavy-duty flush. I will run the car for about 15-20 mins every night and flush out later on during the week. I also didn’t see any leaks on the trans. I hope it stays that way.

I have lots of little things to do. I also got in my interior parts. After checking in all the parts, I noticed I forgot to get the door panels. Well I guess another order is needed. Probably not the last. Thanks for checking out my progress.

BTW, photobucket sucks. It will take a good while to fix all the damage. To me they are as bad as the ransomware thieves. It’s bad enough that it was a pain with all the ads and they wanted you to pay to get rid of them, then they pull this stunt.

Jas0n likes this.
  3. Twisted72

Twisted72 Veteran Member

Nov 8, 2015
    New Albany, Indiana
    John sounds like your moving right along, good going

4. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    i am looking for one of you guys who had some good pics of installing your headliner. I know you have to glue the headliner to the front and rear tack strips, but i also remember people gluing it on the left and right sides. Please give me some input and pics from other installs. BTW, this is for the bow style headliner. thanks,

5. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    Been awhile since I’ve updated the thread. Just busy on small things. I finally got all the carpet in. I had to trim the center console many times to get it in easily. I still have one last time to trim. I installed the rear speakers. I screwed down the front kick panels and installed the speakers and grills. I did try the A/C cover but it was hitting the blower motor. So, I found a bucket and cut it apart to start a mold for the new A/C cover. Then I trimmed to the panel and cut slits in end to bend to make a curve. Once I got the shape I taped it all together and added a couple of paint stick for flanges. Then I fiberglass’ d the piece. Once dried, I popped it away from the plastic and cardboard base. Trimmed to fit and screwed together. Below are some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did get the headline bows in with the headliner, but I am still letting some creases work out. It is still not glued in. I also ripped off the leather I put on the center console. It wouldn’t stretch correctly and didn’t look good. So, I will buy another brand that stretches both ways. I did get the radiator cleaned and filled with fluid. I did lots of other things, just can’t remember them all. I haven’t been documenting very good since I have been doing all these little details.

I will be working on closing in the trunk area and getting it ready for the stereo equipment. Lots of stuff to do, and I want it all done soon. Thanks for checking out my progress.

Twisted72 likes this.
  6. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    I’ve been busy on the trunk enclosure lately. First I wanted to fill in the indentions in the trunk floor before putting down the sound/deadner. I also didn’t like the stiff 90 degree angles going up the trunk floor. So I made some wood pieces to make an angle going up to the higher level.

[​IMG]

I had to make all my templates first then transform them to some 1/8” plywood. I started on the rear cover first. Once completed, I had to nail on a stiffener to keep the piece flat while fiber glassing the front. I only used resin or the rear. I also had to make a rounded tapered piece to go around the filler neck indention in the trunk.

[​IMG]

I trimmed it in place and then sanded and applied a coat of filler to smooth out the panel. Last week I ordered my stereo equipment to start the design of how to install everything in the trunk. I had a friend come over and he connected all the wiring up and we got the stereo to play. He had some different size sub-woofers to try out. The one 12” sounder the best. I did find that the radio didn’t respond very good to the buttons and you really couldn’t get it dialed in good. So he suggested to get a flat eq to help out.

Sunday thru last night was make the side panels and the amp support. I cut the amp support out of ¼” plywood. I made many brackets to adhere to trunk. There are 1/4” aluminum angle about 1 ½” long. I got those mounted to the board and made some flat bar pieces to adhere to the top of the rear quarter. I used some left over square tubing from a canopy for the top braces for the side covers on both sides. I will use the angle clips for the bottom. I also used 1/16” alum angle for the clips to hold down the bottom section of the rear panel. Then I had to over under bend them for the angle of the rear panel. I then got everything lined up and epoxy’ d all those pieces to the trunk area. I am using a panel bonding epoxy for metal. I used it in the past and this stuff is as good as welding. I then proceeded to make the templates then wood panels for the sides. Last night I finally got things trimmed in and lined up. I didn’t epoxy those lower brackets since they are in the way for me to make the template and panel for the rear. Here is a pic of the trunk area last night.

[​IMG]

I will work on the rear panel and try to layout my vent panels for the sides and front panel. I still need to get the sub to go with the amp and build that box. I will try and take more detailed pics of what I described above tonight. I ran out of daylight yesterday. Thanks for checking out my progress.

7. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    This is one of the projects that I need to tackle in the near future. I don't want to cut the dash so I need to figure out what to do for a deck first and then I'll move on to the trunk. I plan on doing it similar to yours with one 12 because of how small the trunks are but I want to do something trick with the enclosure, maybe some plexi with backlit Z28 etching or something. I like the way you took the time to smooth it all out and I can appreciate all the work that your putting in to it. That much fab work takes a while to get just right but it'll pay off and it's gonna look good!

8. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    Twisted72 likes this.
  9. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    I have been working on my stiffeners on my panels in the trunk. I got to put resin on the side panels and a little fiberglass on the outside of all the stiffeners. This should keep them in place. I also got the stiffeners ready to be glued and fiberglass’ d to the front panel. Here are some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will apply the resin and fiberglass tonight on the front panel. Once all the rears of the panels are completed, I will apply resin to all the fronts. Then sand them smooth and apply filler if needed. Then cut all the center holes where the grills will go. I will also cut off all the inside lips of the aluminum channels. I will be putting in back lighting on the panels and this will help in the effects.