JohnL71RS’s Project restart…..

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by JohnL71RS, Nov 11, 2010.

1. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Pearland, texas
    not sure how far your into it, but if you still have your original bearing in column, you should check it out to see if it needs replacing, while your in there. I did mine years ago, and if I remember correctly, it was PITA.....

2. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    Wow you have done so much to the car. Great thread and project.

3. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    I replaced the bearing. I did get it in last night. the clip still needed a bfh. It seems the cup that sits on the race was not going in all the way. So i beat it down in place and the edges came in too far and it distorted the center hole. i had to grind off the bottom edges and ream out the hole. We then proceeded to install the shafts to the rack and pinion. we got the first section on and called the night.

4. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    Thanks,

I am trying to finish this damn thing.

5. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    I really like that steering wheel, it looks good an doesn't look like it blocks the view to the gauges. It sucks you have to take it apart again but hopefully it'll be an easy fix.

6. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    I decided to try and upholster the center console. Glued on the driver’s side and went to do the last curve and I had relief cuts too long. So, I had to pull off all the leather and get the glue off the console. My neighbor explained how to do it correctly and I tried again. Nervous about the outcome, I asked him for help. We ended up getting it on but I did have some bad areas not covered with leather. I think the inner panels will cover those areas. I noticed last night that the area mentioned above was peeling off. I will get with neighbor to figure it out. I never did the other side yet.

I tried to fix the wiggle in the steering column. I rented the puller again and removed the plate/horn and spring. I finally figured out I installed the retainer backwards. Luckily, I have another. But the steering shaft still wobbles around. It looks like I need to push the shaft upwards as much as possible. The shaft had a raised area that needs to be where the race fits. So, I tried to install all the linkage for the steering. After finally getting all the linkage connected, I noticed we fit them too long. After everything was connected, the rack and pinion was almost off by the complete bolt hole. I don’t know how this happened since everything was installed before. Well it looks like I will just have to drill another hole about 3/8” higher on the top section and cut off some of the pipe. This should shorten the setup to allow the rack and pinion to move enough to line up the bolt holes. This will also push the steering shaft up to allow the shaft to fit correctly against the top bearing and race. At least that is my assumption.

I then ended the weekend changing out the trans gasket. That was a freaking mess and I will check tonight to see if there are any more leaks. Slowly striving forward to get this car on the road. Thanks for checking out my progress

7. 7/3-SplitRS

7/3-SplitRS Veteran Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Pecatonica IL
    Keep up the good work John. Car is looking good so far!

8. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    can someone give me the measurements of the window stops. I can't seem to find mine and the price is way to high. i can fabricate something .
    thanks,

9. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    I did finish fabricating my seat belt brackets. I ordered my belts and went to put in this weekend and discovered that one of the brackets fell and chipped up the paint. So, I am repainting that one. The others I bolted loosely to the rollcage. I also ordered my rear shocks and springs. After opening the box, I noticed they sent me the front shocks. So now I am waiting on the correct ones. To speed up things, I decided to order my interior. I was going to wait till after the paint job, but the booth is taking too long to complete.

I need to try and fix the wiggle issue on the column. The only thing to try is the second bearing. This will be a pita. But the alternative is a new column.

I have been starting the car on a regular basis. It has been running pretty good. I do have a slight flatspot on a hard acceleration. I will tune it better later on.

I also decided to try and put in my door windows. I spent a couple of hours figuring out how to do it and get things bolted up. The pass side should be a lot easier now. Just many little things I need to do while waiting on the paint booth. Thanks for checking out my progress.

Jas0n likes this.