JohnL71RS’s Project restart…..

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by JohnL71RS, Nov 11, 2010.

1. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    Also, i had a bad float in the front of the carb and the gas was pouring out the vent tube. replaced and adjusted. Here is another video after we adjusted the timing down to 12 degrees and about 850 rpms at idle.
    [​IMG]

2. 70Chev

70Chev Veteran Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    John. Absolutely perfect. Can you tell me if there is anything on the other side of the glass from those clear plastic plugs please or do they just pop in from one side? What do they do? Are they guides of some sort? If it's not too much trouble can I get a photo of the other side (outside) of the glass please?

Thank you. This is a great help.

3. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    Darren,
    i never used those plugs before. i think it's just to plug the holes on the early model years. i think for the big bumper years, the holes are used. I guess they included them for our years. i dont think they are needed, plus i couldn't get them in the holes. the plastic is real stiff. i will probably need a rubber mallet to hit them in and that makes me nervous to hit on my glass. I will try and remember to get a pic of the outside.

4. Jas0n

Jas0n Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Verona, ITALY
    Glad to hear that the car is started and rev great!

5. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    not anymore. More gremlins. it starts now and then dies. i can give it gas and it doesn't matter. My friend came over this weekend and check the ignition and we are still getting plenty of spark. So next is to borrow a loaner carb to see if mine is the problem. i did a complete rebuild on mine and changed the power valve a week or so ago.

6. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    Sort of good news. I put a friend's spare 1050 on the car last night and it started right up. Sounded better than it ever has. No gas needed, just hit the key. Now i need to tear down the 850 and try to find out why it isn't working.

7. 7/3-SplitRS

7/3-SplitRS Veteran Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Pecatonica IL
    Nice, at least you narrowed it down.

8. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    I went through the carb the last couple of nights. Changed a gasket, jets and power valves. I went for fr #78 rr#80 to fr #80 rr #82. I think i got 4??? power valves. the numbers on these things aren't were they supposed to be. I will try and put it back on and start it up. Nothing seemed to be clogged. I am hoping for the best. I didn't see a new carb in this build.

9. 7/3-SplitRS

7/3-SplitRS Veteran Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Pecatonica IL
    Let us know how it goes.

10. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    I finished up on the carb and swapped out the carbs. The old carb seemed to run pretty good. It still has a slight flat spot on acceleration. I have since tightened up the bolts on both accelerator pumps. I just never started it up again. I also noticed a leak under the car. Come to find out, the trans is leaking. It seems to be coming from the front of the pan. So, I bought another gasket last night to change it out. It is a rubber gasket and I thought it would work great.

I decided to pull out the dash for the millionth time. I took out the spacers to lower the dash pad against the metal cowl. Then I put everything back in. This is definitely the last time I plan on doing this. I installed the cluster gauges and the lower dash beneath the column. That piece fits like crap, but I will deal with it later.

I took apart the steering wheel and sanded it. Then I went to a final 320 grit and red scotch brite to finish it off. Screwed it all together and it looks great. I went ahead and pulled the blinker switch out and replaced the lock cylinder. I put it back in and rented a steering wheel puller to install the plate. For some odd reason, I can’t seem to get the damn plate in. it keeps stopping the puller and ends up bending the plate. Then I straighten the plate and try again and it does it again. After the fifth-time last night, I gave up. Thanks for checking out my progress.