JohnL71RS’s Project restart…..

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by JohnL71RS, Nov 11, 2010.

  1. JohnL71RS

    JohnL71RS Veteran Member

    1,542
    7
    Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    Scott,

    i almost certain it wasn't from the lines. the sealer was put on over a year ago and no other spots on the car. i left the fender outside under a carport and the cardboard that it was laying on got wet multiple times. it probably soaked it in from the saturated cardboard.
     
  2. JohnL71RS

    JohnL71RS Veteran Member

    1,542
    7
    Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    I started the weekend with buying the front calipers for a 78’ Malibu. The Right Stuff said I could replace the rear calipers with the emergency brake with these. Well he was right and wrong. The new calipers had bumps and thick ridges around the bottom of the curved rear. The bracket for the brakes just had the circumference cut out. So, I had to grind off all those areas. Then after that, the caliper still hit in the center of the bottom of the curve. So, I had to remove about 3/16” off the bracket. Then all worked together. I sanded and epoxy’ d the calipers. Then on the next day I painted them with red caliper paint.


    Next was to get some of the bumps out of the dash pad next to the metal cowl. I took it off a few times to shim up the section that I removed too much pad from. Eventually I had to say it was enough and live with it. I hooked up all the AC ducts and installed the glove box again. Inside the glove box I had to install the mounting plate for the ignition module and the computer. Then I hooked up the module and computer.


    I bought a new wiper motor and tested since the old one didn’t seem to work. I peeled off all the stickers and sprayed with etching primer. I also made a plate to cover the motor in place of the washer pump plate. I never plan to use the wipers if possible, less the washer pump. So, I sprayed some etching primer on it after I welded up the corners. I have a couple of pics of the motor and cover.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]


    I then unwrapped the wire leads to the motor and pulled the two wires from the plug for the washer pump. I then wrapped the wires up again so there would only be one set of wires coming out to the wiper motor. You can see the wires in the previous pics. To me, it looks a lot cleaner. If it decides to be a good weather day, I will get some things painted in bc/cc. It’s been too windy the last few weekends. That’s all for last weekend. Thanks for checking out my progress.
     
  3. Da-bigguy

    Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    2,924
    9
    Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    That looks great. Should sound nice and mean when you get her on the road!
     
  4. Carolina Man

    Carolina Man New Member

    24
    4
    Mar 18, 2017
    OK
    Those are the best exhaust hangers I have seen.
     
  5. JohnL71RS

    JohnL71RS Veteran Member

    1,542
    7
    Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    Thanks, I know how it sounded with the other exhaust, just never heard it with these. hopefully get it started soon.
     
  6. Jas0n

    Jas0n Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    919
    1
    Apr 27, 2010
    Verona, ITALY
    I have to quote Carolina Man!
     
  7. JohnL71RS

    JohnL71RS Veteran Member

    1,542
    7
    Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    They do look good. yawl know i get a little fancy at times.
     
  8. Da-bigguy

    Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    2,924
    9
    Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Nothing wrong with getting a little fancy from time to time!!
     
  9. JohnL71RS

    JohnL71RS Veteran Member

    1,542
    7
    Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    A few positives and negatives this weekend. I sprayed filler primer on the fender and blocked it the best I could on the horse. Then sprayed the entire section I sanded off the sealer with primer. I decided to put the fender back on the car for the final blocking. The horses seem to move around a lot and I think I can be more detailed in a fixed position.


    On Sunday, I went over to my friend’s house and we made the hanger brackets for the exhaust. They came out pretty good and we lined them up and I drilled the holes through the floor to mount the brackets. After all that was completed, I needed to measure and cut off the extra pipe to fit on the tips. I got one side cut and ready to drill holes for screws to keep the tips on. We also figured out how to install the window cranking brackets. This has had me baffled for a time now. So, I installed the passenger’s side and will try and get the other in during the week.


    Then another friend came over later to work on the electrical. He cut and installed all the new coil tips on my spark plug wires. We tried to crank the motor but it seemed like the battery was too weak. So, we did some testing and found some grounds that needed to be hooked under the dash. Then after we finished, we tried to crank it again and the battery wouldn’t hold up. So, he had to crimp and solder the fuel pump wires under the car.


    During the week, I hope to finish installing the exhaust and the rear brakes. I really want to hear this thing run before Easter. Thanks for checking out my progress.
     
    Carolina Man likes this.

Share This Page