Jamieg285's '79 in the UK

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by jamieg285, Mar 12, 2014.

  1. jamieg285

    jamieg285 Veteran Member

    1,237
    3
    Jul 15, 2004
    Luton, England
    I've been a bit too slack with my updates. Although not much was done, I was expecting to complete certain jobs and post an update to cover all of it, but for various reasons I've not had the time to work on the car - in fact I've not been able to get to it for nearly 6 weeks now - which is really annoying as the weather has been ideal for it. Anyway, using the photos for reminding, here's what I managed to get done in June and July.

    As mentioned at the end of the previous post, I was in the process of patching up the rear crossrail. Here you can see the first part of the patch roughly welded in and before cleaning up.
    [​IMG]

    It looks an odd shape, but that is because it will match up to the patch parts I started a couple of years ago. It will make more sense when you see them together.
    Here is said piece, which has been cleaned up and had a layer of epoxy primer applied to the inner face. The other side will be accessible when it's on the car, so I will clean/paint that later.
    [​IMG]

    This was trial fitted and marked where it needed triming or primer removed in the welding areas.
    [​IMG]

    I then drilled all the holes ready for spot welding and whilst the drill was out I did the same on the other side.
    [​IMG]

    I'd (relatively) recently cleaned up and epoxy primered the end of the frame rails. The patch was offered up and I marked all the areas that would be welded, then proceeded to grind the epoxy of these spots.
    [​IMG]


    And here you can see the patch welded into place. It still needs cleaning up and epoxying, which is one of the next jobs on the list. Just ahead of that, I plan to chop out more of the lower edge of the tail panel. I'm going to cut it along the line of spot welds where it joings the trunk pan, as this will give me something to support the new panel, rather than it being a straight butt weld.

    [​IMG]


    Lets hope the next update isn't as long coming as this one was!
     
  2. dutch73camaro

    dutch73camaro Member

    66
    8
    Jan 7, 2016
    Beverwijk, Netherlands
    very nice project man !, i've read your complete topic, respect for doing it outside with limited budget and tools !.

    i'm about to start again with my project and have also alot of welding to do.
    i'm gonna follow your project page.
     
  3. jamieg285

    jamieg285 Veteran Member

    1,237
    3
    Jul 15, 2004
    Luton, England
    How time flies when you're not working on the car!

    I did manage to get a little bit more done at the end of last season. I ground back the welds on the patch panel and cut back some more of the outer panel on the passenger side, cleaned up the metal that side and then applied some epoxy primer to give it all some protection over the winter.
    [​IMG]

    Not much happened for the next few months as the weather wasn't kind and it was usually too wet to do much. Then there was a very fortunate turn of events. Another '79 owner in the UK had been contacted by a car dismantler who had taken in 5 78/79 shells from a filming company and there were many part available - something of a rarity outside of the US. As you might expect, there was a lot of interest in these, so I made sure I could get there as soon as possible to make sure I got the bits I wanted. Even then, I wasn't the first and someone had done a deal to take the 3 best shells (in fact only complete ones). What remained as one that had been through a crusher, so most was gone, and one that had been cut into various pieces by the studio. It was clear that this was a rough example to start with and had been fillered and painted for filming. However, all was not lost and I actually did very well. From the nose section I was able to take a clean pair of z28 fenders, including the lower extensions, which was the main item to obtain. I was also able to cut the entire 6 inches off the back end - giving me the elusive trunk lip and the tail panel to quarter filler pieces. (see below) and a full tail spoiler set. To finish off, there was also a nice looking set of tail lights, which turned out to be OER reproductions. I ran out of time and budget to get any more bits, but may see if I can get back there sometime.

    With some recent dry weather I've had the time to start separating the bits of panel that I wanted to keep from those that I didn't. It took a few hours of careful cutting and chiselling, but eventually I ended up with just the trunk lip and filler panels.
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    The fillers clearly aren't perfect, but the worst bits are also the easiest bits to repair.

    In case you can't work out what these are, the brown center piece sits on top of the tail panel to make the channel the trunk seal fits into (see the top of the first pic in this post). The fillers go between the tail panel and the quarters:
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    This now changes the plan for the tail panel. I'll now be removing the full tail panel and replacing with the new one with these bits cleaned up and attached to it. The fun part will be getting the old filler pieces separated from the quarter panels. As my replacement quarters are patches and not full panels they don't reach all the way around the end. I may have to retain the rear most parts of the quarters where they join the fillers, or I may have to fabricate something to join the two new parts together. I need to have a good look at it to work out how to tackle it.

    My enthusiasm is firing again, so I'm now hoping for some good weather so I can get stuck in again.
     

Share This Page