Jack stands locations?

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by smallblockchev, Dec 19, 2018.

1. smallblockchev

smallblockchev Veteran Member

I pulling my t10 tranny and taking off the headers on my 78 Z28, wheres the best place to set jack stands so they are out of the way while removing trans and headers?
    Any help is appreciated
    Thanks
    Smallblockchev

2. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I like putting one pair under the frame by the radiator and another pair under the rear axle. I got a pair of the larger 12 ton ones that I use up front since you'd have to have the regular size stands maxxed out height wise. I also built some of the 2 x 4 stands (bunch of 2 x 4's stacked up, nailed screwed and made into 12-15 inch high blocks) that you can set your tires on. Like this https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1537/24849031419_c6c8b08179_o.png[​IMG]

3. smallblockchev

smallblockchev Veteran Member

Do you go in front or behind the swaybar on the frame?

4. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I go all the way forward. Its a nice flat spot, out of the way when you are working on trans area, plenty of clearance when finagling headers out.

5. hoffmandirt

hoffmandirt Veteran Member

I place the jack stands in the same locations that grzewnicki suggested. I also ditto going with the larger jack stands to get some height under the car so you can get a jack under the trans in order to drop it down slowly and wheel it out from under the car. I made the wheel cribs that grzewnicki mentioned for that reason. They are super easy to make.

Here's a video I made that shows how I made mine.

6. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

I have some very HD jackstands that I use under the rear axle and the 'pockets' of the lower control arms. I've had a couple friends die from being in a hurry and not setting stands correctly.

7. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

You need some big stands to get most headers in and out. At least 2 feet under the rockers front to back,preferably more. Sometimes you have no choice but to go under the frame rearward by the firewall. You need the back up to get the driveshaft out anyway so get the whole car WAY up before even starting.

8. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 Veteran Member

Similar to above, large stands are always good to have and I've used them both on the frame by the rad support and under the lower control arms.. I also made 4 blocks that are basically just 2 x 10s screwed together with pieces of the 2 x 10 screwed to the top as chocks.. Been using these for years... They're also drilled in the bottom so I can hang them on the wall and have handles on them so they're easy to carry and maneuver. You can see one under the left front tire and a second one off to the side (painted white).. I also use 2 x 12s screwed together to go under my stands as needed, I have blocks of wood screwed on the top piece so the stand sits down over them and can't slide off..
    Yup, I'm kind of a freak like that, can't be too safe..

Fleet

Work in Progress.jpg