Jack Cover

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by Jeraboa, Sep 23, 2008.

1. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

GREGS396, I tend to agree with you on this one particular part and maybe a few others like tires........

THIS repop jack cover is very nice.......I just personally feel that if another car is judged side by side with a survivor original jack cover that is in very good condition, that owner/restorer should be acknowledged with more points than the owner who used the repop jack cover.......

I just feel original restored parts should receive more credit than replacement/reproduction parts.......

The LEGENDS judging system has 5000 total points. I will ask Jeff Betz (Vice President/ACA 2nd gen LEGENDS) if I can publish them here, for all to see. Its no secret and we hide nothing......

As I said before, YOUR suggestions on point deductions , items to look for, items to judge equal regardless of originality, all your comments will be read and given thought..........

Probably need to START a thread on LEGENDS judging, points, etc etc

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  2. CamarosRus

twoz's is just talking without putting his brain in gear........

How many thousand people are making a living on EBAY.........

Of all those thousands, that are selling anything/everything on EBAY, how many are paying state and federal income tax.........

C'mon.........get real!!!!!!!!!

3. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    oooooooooooooooooohh very scary stuff there. and so close to Halloween too! anyway i could care less if you all cheat the government, that on you if you don't want to do business legitimately . do the math 100 injection molded pieces of plastic times 100 dollars a piece = 10,000 dollars. the guy seemed pissed off and that is the ultimate F.U. all i know is i have a jack cover and it came with my car. i have a lot of better things to spend 100 dollars on so don't get me going!

4. DANZ

DANZ Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Purcellville,Va.
    I can't get real, thats why I do repos.....................:innocent:

5. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    just because thousands of people do it does that make it right ? thousands of people deal drugs too how right is that. thousands of people hire illegal aliens to work off the books is that right . way to minimize a problem. most people use e bay as a source to pick up a few extra dollars on some stuff they want to get rid of (its intension i would assume) like a yard sale. but some people found a way to conduct a business with out paying taxes. what ever, like i said its on you!

6. DANZ

DANZ Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Purcellville,Va.
    Holy cow, lighten up, chill....................

7. GREGS396

GREGS396 Veteran Member

Oct 16, 1999
    allentown pa
    We need people like Dan to reproduce some of those hard/impossible parts to find. We have a limited amount of stuff available for the 2nd Gen cars, and without his efforts, we would have nothing. The window clips are a prime example, as they were nowhere to be found in the past.

8. GREGS396

GREGS396 Veteran Member

Oct 16, 1999
    allentown pa
    Chuck, please understand that I have a great deal of respect for all that judge cars on your level. I could understand making an issue if someone had a true survivor car, and attempted to substitute a repro part. I strive to keep my cars as correct as possible, but I also drive them regularly. I would have to say that it would be near impossible to frame-off restore a 2nd Gen car today without using any reproduction parts. Given this fact, I don't think that people should lose points for doing so as long as the parts used are accurate and of good quality. I am currently working on a 72 SS, and have had to use several repro parts since nothing else was avaialbe. Items such as brake and fuel lines are only available in reproduction as are most interior items.
    Greg

9. citrusz

citrusz Veteran Member

Mar 10, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Chuck,
    If you think I am badgering you or critizing Legends judging you are certainly mistaken and I'm sorry you took it that way. I am simply trying to understand the judging logic and rules. Being a judge is a difficult task, but cars owners should know the rules going in. I think your idea about posting the judging sheet is fantastic.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I find it extremely difficult to believe that every Restored car that went through Legends judging had OEM tires and not Kelsey repros. There's just not that many OEM tires out there.

10. CamarosRus

Citrusz, and Greg, I was not directing my badgering/ critizing comment at either of you, nor anyone in particular.

I misspoke what I meant to say about the tires. I meant to write that most every past LEGENDS 70 Z-28 (for example) HAS HAD Kelsey, repop Goodyear Tires.

I fully understand the use and necessity of certain repop items such as new fuel lines, new brake hoses, new heater hoses etc etc. Let me again try (I'm obviously failing) to make my point about acknowledging and giving special credit for using restored OEM "born with" parts versus reproduction

a) original rechromed tailpipes versus repop Gardner

b) original N.O.S. muffler vs reproduction IMCO muffler

c) original correct 70 1st design Z-28 trim rings versus the much more common 2nd design rings

d) original correct lug nuts versus incorrect 2nd design lug nuts

e) correct MOLDED hood pad reproduction versus the earlier available FLAT style. They are both reproductions, but one is more accurate

The list could go on and on.........but I (personally) am in favor of giving more credit for using restored original parts on a restored original car than using the available reproduction. Just because the owner/restorer could not find, would not pay for the more rare original part, is not reason to penalize the owner who does display his restored car with more OEM parts.........IMHO

This entire LEGENDS judging opinion effects how many "restored" Camaros in the world, like 1/10th of 1%.

Even at Carlisle if you have a Heartbeat or BowTie judged Camaro may I assume that these OEM vs repop questions arent even considered.
    Like 1/10