I've been washing my car all wrong all these years.

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by iregret, Feb 9, 2010.

1. ZYAL8R

ZYAL8R Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 25, 2004
    morgantown Kentucky
    I never wash my car, water is the enemy. I have had my car done for close to 6 years and have never washed it with a water hose. I keep the car covered, when I get it out I dust it off and either use a spray bottle with water in it or a quick detailer and a cloth diaper or terry cloth to wipe it down. I figured I spent enough time and money removing all of the cancer and replacing it with new metal so why give it another oportunity.

2. MR. FBDY

MR. FBDY Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 30, 2001
    hudson, NY
    I dont wash my show cars either, I use a quick detailer and keep the cars waxed so everything wipes right off.

But you have daily drivers right?

3. Fawn

Fawn Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 9, 2000
    Arlington, WA
    It's been so long since I've washed a car, I don't think I remember how. It's rainy season here, and it's been a wet one this year. The Californian in me can't STAND to see my car so filthy, and it also can't stand washing a car only to have it clean for 3 hours.

4. Mark80Z28

Mark80Z28 Veteran Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Ohio
    The problem with that is, when you put your mitt back in the bucket, you run the risk of stirring all of that stuff up from the bottom of the bucket, back onto your mitt. I've been "studying" a lot online at some of the detailing websites with the hope of getting into detailing professionally. The pros swear by the 2 bucket wash method, with a grit guard in each bucket, and at least one that I know of uses 2 Grit Guards in each bucket.

Here's an excellent video on the 2 bucket wash method:

http://www.webridestv.com/showvideo.aspx?video=43655

5. Mark80Z28

Mark80Z28 Veteran Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Ohio
    Nothing wrong with washing with water if you do it right.

Just a suggestion- you might want to ditch the spray bottle with water in it and just use the quick detailer. Water doesn't have enough lubricating properties in it, and you run a higher risk of scratching. Also, if you try a good microfiber, you'll never go back to your diapers or terry cloth!

6. m_melen

m_melen Member

Dec 16, 2009
    TEXAS BABY!
    this guy had a lot of tape in his video camera.

7. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 18, 2003
    BC, Canada
    After a 7 hour mid summer drive to or from a race, I pull into a car wash and put the pressure washer and brush to it. Actually, that's the only way I wash it.

8. MIDNIGHTBLUE

MIDNIGHTBLUE Veteran Member

Jul 28, 2000
    Hemet, CA
    I used to agitate my son by my washing technique. All over rinse, then wash in quadrants, clean roof rinse. Clean hood rinse. Clean trunk, rinse. Clean front left quarter, rinse, door rinse, left rear quarter etc, ALL th way around, top to bottom.

Rinse and scrub each wheel, treat wheels and dont wipe.

Pull car into garage and use electric yard blower to dry off car. Then Invis-glass the windows and detail interior with q-tips, brushes and blower tip from compressor.

Vaccum floor and wipe all door frames and sills.

9. Simon@London

Simon@London Veteran Member

Feb 16, 2009
    London Ontario
    Wow these all sound time consuming.

I don't even put my windows up or t-tops on. Just use a hose carefully to wet vehicle and get the telescopic wash pad going. No need to even bend over to pull dirty rags out of dirty buckets.

10. BusDriver

BusDriver Veteran Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I only wash my vehicles in the tears of young children. Their sorrow brings out the shine. Plus, they are a renewable resource and are carbon negative.