It is a lot easier hanging doors with original metal

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by RickM, Nov 7, 2017.

1. RickM

RickM Veteran Member

Apr 16, 2004
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I had a heck of a time hanging my drivers side door after putting a new skin on it. Being a novice I probably did not put the skin on in the best manner but after a LOT of time and effort I got it like this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now on to the other passenger side where I did not have to skin the door I was able to get it this close after 3-4 hours instead of 3-4 weeks:
    [​IMG]
    Very Happy with rocker to door being parallel with a consistent height all the way down
    [​IMG]
    The door may need to come back to the quarter just a bit but otherwise it was so much easier using the original door & skin
    [​IMG]

Hopefully the fender will be as easy, then on to the hood.

RickM

2. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
  3. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Yeah, we did BOTH doors with repro skins...and fenders too. Definitely took some patience.

4. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    Looks great,much better than i could do. maybe just maybe the drives finder at very bottom rear edge needs to be flush with the end of rocker panel, up against the rocker,all of front of door gap should be already built into the fender,maybe,, can't always.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  5. Jeff L - 1970 Camaro Z28

Jeff L - 1970 Camaro Z28 New Member

Tuesday

6. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    I have posted this before but my body man will not crimp down a door skin until he test fits it first. He swears it takes less time to trial fit it than to try to align the gaps. As you know you can spend hours and hours getting the gaps right.

7. RickM

RickM Veteran Member

Apr 16, 2004
    Gaithersburg, MD
    From Jeff L

"Who manufactured the aftermarket door skin? I am preparing to re-skin my '70 using Goodmark products. I have already replaced the fenders with Goodmark and they are good (not great). "

I got the skin from NPD it came with a couple of very minor shipping dings but overall it was good.

RickM