Is this compressor good for SandBlasting

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by ATM, Jan 16, 2010.

1. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2009
    BUFFALO, NY
    Decisions decisions. I know bro!! You could get a peice of rubber line from Northeastern tools. They come in all sizes and lengths, pre-made. Just put a quick release on the one you want to remove. You'll have to use a rubber line to the hard pipe. There is too much vibration and it will always leak, I learned that the hard way.

Just a thought.

2. POS71RS

POS71RS Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 21, 2002
    Central Coast, CA
    I hate to be a killjoy after you already bought that compressor, but for the NEXT time around, NEVER... EVER... get an oilless compressor again.
    The compressor motor on that is weak, with inflated HP ratings like Gary mentioned.
    My old compressor was probably the same as your old one. It was a 30 gallon, "5" hp oilless. It was STUPID LOUD. I mean, seriously embarrassing.

Again, I hate to be 'that guy', but I think you may want to keep searching around for a good deal on a bigger compressor. If you're running a D/A, cutoff wheels, painting, etc. you're going to hate that compressor in short time.

It looks like it's in great shape, and I would not be surprised if you sold it for a slight profit.

Things in a compressor I learned that are instant deal-breakers:
    oilless. Horrible, will overheat, good chance there's plastic piston rings that will wear/MELT, NOISEY as hell, low CFM ratings.
    110v or even 110/220. It has to be 220v minimum. The motor simply will not make the power with 110v.
    there's a few other things, but basically, find yourself the closest thing you can to the above-pictured compressor you can. That's a sweet one.

Large motor/belt driven Cast Iron pump, you're probably looking at a decent compressor.

I searched for months before I found a killer deal on a used compressor. And I LOVE mine. It's SO much quieter than my old oilless. I can have a conversation in the garage while it's charging. It also keeps my cheap airtools running at probably around 80% max power/rpm while it's running.

3. ATM

ATM Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Morris, Illinois
    Will keep looking for sure. I had kicked around putting it up for sale and getting a better one. Good advice.

4. ATM

Oct 10, 2009
    Morris, Illinois
    Sort of grainy, but how does this one look?

[​IMG]
    Don't know anything else about it now, but it looks like a cast iron pump belt driven...

5. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2009
    BUFFALO, NY
    That one's much better. I agree, but didn't want to be a kill joy either. The rating on the direct drive compressors are over inflated. That old Craftsman would be much better, plus it'll be rebuildable.

Just want to assist you in making a better choice. I had to learn the hard way.

6. INSPECTOR57

INSPECTOR57 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That looks much better but I believe that pump may be aluminum - still it's better than oilless. Check that the motor rating is 220V single phase & aprox 15 running amps (true 5hp). Also, there should be a CFM rating on it somewhere.
    Gary

7. ATM

Oct 10, 2009
    Morris, Illinois
  8. INSPECTOR57

INSPECTOR57 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The ad says single or three phase; use the single phase. That's a promising looking compressor - oldie but goodie. If you go to look at it see if they will run it for you. If it needs rebuilt it could cost another $500. Check for rust damage on the lower areas.

The one pictured in your post #24 will do 98% of the things you want. Takes up less space too. If they want < $300 I'd by that one.
    Gary

9. ATM

Oct 10, 2009
    Morris, Illinois
    Would 220 constitute single phase?
    As for post 24, they are asking $450 for that one...

Will put my current ones up for sale, and just keep looking.

10. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2009
    BUFFALO, NY
    DUDE......BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!

Kellogg is a great name, actually fromwhat I've been told, so great they went out of business!! They made the compressors too well. I love mine!! You can still get plenty of parts for them ,too!!!

As stated wire it single phase, as I did mine, and you'll have so much air you won't know what to do with it!!!

Here are some places I found parts for mine......

http://www.mastertoolrepair.com/pump-parts-p-5413.html
    http://www.ecompressedair.com/compressor-parts/kellogg-compressor-parts.aspx
    http://www.aircompeq.com/ka.htm
    http://www.mastertoolrepair.com/pump-parts-p-5413.html
    http://www.mastertoolrepair.com/Schematics/335TV Breakdown.pdf

I bought a ton of, actually most of my parts from Aircompeq (ACE). The guys are very helpful and knowledgable. They emailed me the parts diagram and pump specs for FREE!!

BTW...the last link is the parts breakdown for the 335 you're looking at.

GOOD LUCK KID!!!