Is this compressor good for SandBlasting

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by ATM, Jan 16, 2010.

1. enjoideviantly

enjoideviantly Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

btw i never knew you could hook up more than one. That way it can use both before running out, right?

that is a KILLER deal..

2. ATM

ATM Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Morris, Illinois
    Not only use both before running out, but have both Pushing air too. You can also buy a non working 60 or 80 gallon and use it as a slave tank. I kicked that around too.

I would be thrilled if this new one is quieter than what I have now, that thing could wake the dead.

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    I agree. For sandblasting and DA sanding, look for a true 5hp as a minimum. A true 5hp puts out around that 18cfm at 100psi. If you can afford it, get a 7.5hp instead. Bigger is better.
    The 6hp rating on the one you show isn't true horsepower. It is ricer hp. A real 6hp compressor would be putting out double that cfm.

4. ATM

Oct 10, 2009
    Morris, Illinois
    Supposedly getting this thing today. Will post up pics later when I get it in. I just cleared out a spot for it in the garage next to the outlet. So, now it is going to be either Air Conditioning, or Air Compressor this summer. The main that is ran to the junction box in the attic is like probably #4 or 5, I wonder if it would handle both, I could just shoot another box down... It is dedicated to 1/2 of my panel.

5. ATM

Oct 10, 2009
    Morris, Illinois
    Got it. $150, plus they tossed in a cheap-o siphon feed sand blaster. I'll just have to sell it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I actually got a clear shot of this?!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sand blaster

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still a loud compressor, but definately an improvement. I am going to get a tee to connect the two as well just in case. Better to have and not want...

Is the air filter, oiler kit I saw at the store a good invenstment? I plan on making a 20 pipe run with a drain tee for moisture.

6. olstyle

olstyle Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Crestwood IL.
    Good deal on the comp. If you ever plan to do any painting, you do not want an oiler. Just get a good water seperator with a drain.

7. ATM

Oct 10, 2009
    Morris, Illinois
    That is what I thought about the oiler. I will get a homebrew water separator going here. Need to get some pipe and 90's tomorrow.

8. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2009
    BUFFALO, NY
    ATM....You can connect your current compressor to your new one, by removing the bottom drain plug and piping it in there. You can use the "T" there, so you still have the drain.

I started with a Craftsman 30gal, but fell into a deal on this monster I rebuilt. Yes I said free!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have $500 into rebuilding it. This is a 5hp 80 gal 1951 Kellogg American 331TV continuos duty compressor. It was sitting outside of a building in a junk yard. I never run out of air.....even when using a cut off wheel.

We all start somewhere....but with the two hooked together, you should be ok.

Good Luck!!

9. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2009
    BUFFALO, NY
    I have it plumbed out to my garage with 3/4" copper. Here is what my regulator looks like.....
    [​IMG]

10. ATM

Oct 10, 2009
    Morris, Illinois
    You have this in the basement? Very cool. I don't think I am going to plumb them together with hardpipe. It would be nice to be able to pick up the smaller one and go someplace with my generator if I needed to. That is a nice setup. I was going to get the hardpiping today to make the water separator. But I saw a Craigslist ad for a 2" and a 4" cowl hood for $225 each...