is this a good deal on this 77 LT?

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by LTjames, Jun 27, 2005.

1. LTjames

LTjames Veteran Member

May 12, 2005
    La Cañada, CA, USA
    Hey all,
    as you know, im in the process of selling my anemic V6 mustang II. Im in california and I found an awesome car Im interested in. I was going to put in a hi-po 289 into my stang but then i realized that the stupid emmissions laws prohibit that, so im in the market for another car. I wanted a pre 76 car so i wouldnt have to worry about smog anymore, but I found this car. Its a 77 LT, 350/4spd. Its got A/C, P/B, P/S, console and some other options, but mechanically it is sound but it needs interior work and a new paint job. But its got the LM1 engine with the 4 speed in good condition, and the guy wants 2000 for it. So is it worth the compromise of doing smog? Thanks
    James

2. Bill77

Bill77 Veteran Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Slidell, LA 70460
    I'm a fan of the big bumper camaros. The early '70 Camaros are more popular but if it were closer, I'd go for it.

3. LTjames

LTjames Veteran Member

May 12, 2005
    La Cañada, CA, USA
    well i did see a 1970 camaro for 1800, not the split bumper with surface rust,a non running 307 auto. In needed extensive int. work and a new gas tank and paint job but i am a big fan of the 70-73 camaros as well.

4. rscamaro73

rscamaro73 Administrator Staff Member

Nothing stopping you from rebuilding that 'LM-1 350' into a smog passing type of performance motor. Hell, you COULD pull that WHOLE motor out, smog stuff and all, and set it on a stand, and put a crate motor in there too...then switch it out if/when you needed to smog it. Throw on some hi-flow cats and be done with it.

Stock exhaust MAY make you run a single exhaust, but it doesn't say you have to run a garden hose size [​IMG]....pop a 3" tube in there as needed for a performance motor....

PLENTY of options around that in Cali....like registering it in a 'no smog' area too [​IMG]

5. LTjames

LTjames Veteran Member

May 12, 2005
    La Cañada, CA, USA
    Yea, its true you can still have fun with the smog stuff. A possibility is to take out the LM1 shortblock and put in a 383 stroker short block.....port the heads, ex. manifolds, and tune the carb....that would make an awesome 'stock' motor. Im not stuck with single exh, but I cant modify anything before the cat, so I could put a fat 3.5" dual system but it has to come out of the stock manifolds and Y pipe and split out of a single cat so not too much of a gain there. But ive still got to sell my stang then I will have money. But if I decide that this is the car, then I could put a down payment on it....not sure yet though.