Is there any service that can figure the serial number from the VIN?

Discussion in 'VIN, Trim Tag & Drivetrain Decoding' started by Lynd McCormick, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Finleyville, PA
    i know that there are companies that repop cowl tags, and yes I know there are controversies surrounding that question, but here's my deal. The builder removed the cowl tag during a rotisserie restoration and now apparently it's lost. I spoke to a tag reproducer who brought up a good point, how would I ever know what the serial number would actually be without the original tag? Are there any records out there that could trace a Norwood VIN number and find the associated serial number?

I also realize that the cowl tag doesn't tell me z28 or RS, just color, stripes, interior, and the likes. It would just be nice to have it on there. Any suggestions?

2. ronzz572

ronzz572 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 8, 2007
    imperial pa
    I can only suggest replace the tag and leave the unknown information off the tag. It can be added later if a source becomes available to get the information. Just thought i would ask.Do you or any past owners have any pictures of the missing tag? Even a distant picture could maybe give you some information with today's technology.

3. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Finleyville, PA
    My former owner has gone MIA on me! He supposably had pictures of everything including the build, the stock hood, and some misc parts. He moved down south and all of a sudden he won’t return a call or a text. His son lives close and he had access to the parts, he won’t return texts either. It’s not like I was bothering the guys, they just went dark soon after they got the cash.

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    I feel your best bet is to just leave the cowl tag off the car completely. The only way to know for sure what some of the numbers were would be to find the car built just ahead of your car and the one built directly after it. That would give you some of the numbers, but not all.
    Putting a tag on with wrong numbers will just put the authenticity of the car in question if those other cars show up in the future and yours can be proven to be falsified.

5. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    I don't know what year yours is but if it was a 70, I have a 8.5 x 11 sheet full of 70 Camaro VINS with their
    RPO codes and serial numbers besides mine on the same sheet. These were given out back in the early
    days by a GM person for free when you requested your RPO codes. Now the GM Vintage Group at GM
    Headquarters in Oshawa does them for a fee.

6. fsc66

fsc66 New Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Long Island, NY
    Lynd:
    By serial number are your referring to the Body number on the trim tag?

Paul

7. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Finleyville, PA
    Exactly. Obviously I have a vin number but the body number is lost. Is there record of that anywhere as it relates to the vin?

8. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    . it really doesn't relate to the vin .

9. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Finleyville, PA
    I thought maybe there were records somewhere that showed what vin had what but it was a long shot.

10. fsc66

fsc66 New Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Long Island, NY
    From what I have been told and similar to the 1969 Camaro, the Ident number is the same as the body number. The ident number is the number that appears on the top right hand of the window sticker and Car shipper. If you happen to have any of these original documents, then you would know your body number. This number may also appear on some build sheets and broadcast copies.
    See attached
    [​IMG]

Paul