is there a third seat option for back seats?

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by loyal guardian, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Milford,CT
    I put in shoulder belts, and had my kids in the car since they were in booster seats. I've had a car seat in there, but it honestly sucks. Best of luck with three. I'm thinking you'd have to get a bench seat from some other car and modify it to work. Don't forget a third set of seat belts. I don't think it'd be worth your time..they won't stay small enough to be three wide very long.

2. reinhardt79

reinhardt79 Veteran Member

May 12, 2002
    VA BCH, VA
    Can you fit a third car seat in the back of a second gen? Sure.

Should you? No.

I have a 79 and a 2 year old with another on the way. I get the urge to load the family in the Camaro for a cruise. I don't trust a lap belt to hold my precious cargo in. I'm also not an engineer to design the proper attachment points to add in the correct belts to lash the children in correctly. Are you? Could you live with yourself if one of your children were injured because you installed a safety belt incorrectly?

3. CAMeeks

CAMeeks Veteran Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Deer Park, TX
    I'm putting 3 point harness in my 78 from Morris. I ordered the kit for the 70 - 73 and it lines up with all the factory holes.

I still don't see the room for a third position in the back though.

4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

The back isnt even wide enough for three car seats. Those things are wide. Ignoring the safety aspect.

5. reinhardt79

reinhardt79 Veteran Member

May 12, 2002
    VA BCH, VA
    I too have had issue with fitting my daughter into the Camaro. I found this mounting works well:

[​IMG]

Kidding. :) My wife left me alone with our daughter (now 2), and I had work to do on my 2002 Z28 (it was in the driveway).

PalmbchZ28 likes this.
  6. qn60e6

qn60e6 Veteran Member

Feb 6, 2008
    copperas cove, texas
    I have pondered your issue before and came up with a possible solution, I never completed the mod due to Iraq and Afghanistan, other than that a viable option for sure. I purchased a fold-able third child rear seat from a Volvo (European for sure). Once it folds down the seat bottom and back expands to accommodate the child. You would have to figure out how to install a restraint system. Hope this helps, remember this is just my idea, use it don't use it, I claim zero liability.

7. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ
    Actually our cars came with optional rear shoulder belts. All of them have the provisions in the rear speaker deck to accept the belts,you just need to find them.