IR T-30 Air Compressor - 3 Phase to Single Phase Conversion

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by bkmont, May 31, 2013.

1. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

keep in mind a 7.5 HP motor is 5600 watts and will pull 22 amps on a 250 volt circuit. Thats quite a load!

2. 81 Sport Coupe

81 Sport Coupe Veteran Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Batavia, NY
    I believe if your street has a 3 phase you can have nimo run a line to your house without charge, if your not sure if it does have 3 phase you can just look at the poles on your street and see if there are 3 transformers on them, this would be the proper way to do it because you can burn up the motor on the air compressor if you have single phase. btw dads a lineman good question to ask

3. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

Jul 9, 2001
    Madison, WI
    I run a t-30 with a 7 HP single phase. Take the old motor to a rewinder shop and see if the will take on trade on a 7 or 7.5 single phase capacitor start/run motor with same shaft. No utility will run three phase at no cost, been in this business 35 years.

The T-30 is a great compressor. Built like a tank and cheap to rebuild.

You simply dont want to mess with phase converters.

4. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Pensacola, Florida
    Thanks Mark. It looks like I'm going to need to think this thing through. I'll need to determine the correct breaker size, wire size, motor starter size, and pressure switch size in order to use a 7.5 single phase motor.
    The T-30 is only going to cost me $400 so the hopefully it'll still be worth doing the conversion.

5. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Pensacola, Florida
    Not an option for my street.

6. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Pensacola, Florida
    Rick,
    Thanks for the tip. I'll check with a local motor shop.

7. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

Jul 9, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Would be a good time to pull the heads amd replace the reed valves and gaskets as well. Change crankcase oil also, only with compressor oil though. Not engine oil.

8. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Pensacola, Florida
    Just an update - T-30 compressor change from 3phase to 1phase a success!
    Purchased a new single phase 7 hp motor, starter and Hi-amp pressure switch and I had to buy a new pulley due the old one breaking while trying to remove it from the 3phase motor shaft. Cost of conversion $600. Runs sweet on a 40 amp breaker.