IR T-30 Air Compressor - 3 Phase to Single Phase Conversion

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by bkmont, May 31, 2013.

1. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Pensacola, Florida
    Hello all,
    I got my hands on a IR T-30 2 stage air compressor on the cheap. Only issue is, it has a 3 phase motor. Anybody go through the 3 phase to single phase conversion. The motor currently on it is 7.5 hp.

2. Krator

Krator Veteran Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Canada
    You can do it but its pretty pricey. You need a phase converter and they can run as much as $500 to $1000. (Maybe its a rectifier too early for the brain) It will take the power down to 2 phase for you. I will look up an old thread in a woodworking forum see if I can find it. The guy got an awesome table saw with a 3 phase motor and had to convert it 2 phase. It was a monster. That thread will help you out.

3. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Pensacola, Florida
    Thanks Greg. Any info will help. I was told you could swap out the 3 phase motor with a single phase motor.Bryan

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Yes, I would look for a 7.5hp single phase motor. It makes better sense in the long run than adding another expensive device.

5. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

6. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Pensacola, Florida
    The solid state phase converter looks interesting. The price sure seems reasonable.
    Is it as simple as installing it between the single phase power source and the air compressor?

7. Krator

Krator Veteran Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Canada
    Thats what it was. He bought the rotary one and put it on. Took it down to 2 phase. Worked well he was very happy with it.

8. Marks71BB

From Grainger web site:

9. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Pensacola, Florida
    What's the purpose of an idler motor?

10. Marks71BB

An idler motor is essentially a rotary phase converter. It utilizes the winding's in the idler to generate three phase current from single phase power and generates a true sine wave for more power.