Intro... Pensacola

Discussion in 'Florida Region' started by Colins_CamaroZ28, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Colins_CamaroZ28

Colins_CamaroZ28 New Member

Dec 11, 2016
    I'm new to this forum so I figured I would say hello to any local people who may be around the Northwest Florida area (Pensacola).

My dad has a 1974 z28 right now it sites in the driveway... I really want to get this thing running again but honestly don't have a clue where to start. Also my dad's currently in a rehab facility recovering from a fall/brain injury. So I've really been thinking about this car lately.

Car status:
    Basically a shell and I need to put everything back together. Already got a motor and trans with a few other things he has acquired. I feel like my biggest issue is going to be the electrical section.

So if anyone knows of a part list or info on how people have restored these cars that would be very helpful. I know I need to do my research cause I'm sure this place has a ton of info.

Some pics
    IMG_20161211_145631369.jpg IMG_20161211_145702318.jpg IMG_20161211_145713726.jpgIMG_20161211_145639607.jpg

Attached Files:

2. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Welcome to the site. Did your dad remove the wiring from the car? If not, you could probably reuse what's there unless rats have gotten to it. Feel free to ask questions. We're here to help. Good luck on your project.

Colins_CamaroZ28 likes this.
  3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Welcome to NastyZ. :)

That looks like a decent project car to start with. Like said above, you can reuse the existing wiring if it's in good shape. Painless is one of the big names in wiring kits, there are several others.

4. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Jul 20, 2014
    grand prairie tx.
    Welcome to the forum. Like mentioned all the replacement harnesses are readily available either thru Painless or the Camaro websites. When I bought my 71 a couple of years ago I had no wiring harnesses under the hood I bought everything from the firewall connector forward and everything fit like a glove and all the connectors lined up and secured perfectly. Nice looking 74 looks real straight.

5. Colins_CamaroZ28

Dec 11, 2016
    Unfortunately he did remove the wiring. This cars been sitting for a good 15+ years at least from what I can remember as a child. It was repaired about 7 years ago but from just sitting outside its got a few holes in it already. Even if he had keep the wiring I'd probably wanna go new just to be safe.

Thanks for the info on the wiring harness. How do y'all feel about using rockauto as far as pricing goes? I used them a lot when I had my Cobalt SS.

6. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    I've had real good service with Rock Auto, you just have to watch shipping.

7. Colins_CamaroZ28

Dec 11, 2016
    Any complete car books with part numbers?

8. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Jul 20, 2014
    grand prairie tx.
    I like Rock Auto. I have found one of the greatest sources for information is right here under the search feature and by posting questions to the members. A little over two years ago I knew nothing about Camaros and these folks guided me thru my restoration. I did buy the assembly manual only because my car was in so many pieces.

9. Colins_CamaroZ28

Dec 11, 2016
    Ok I'm interested in that I'm assuming I can get it online ??

10. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    I bought one off Ebay a few years ago.