Intermediate steering shaft

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Layne02, Jan 14, 2018.

1. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    This steering shaft upgrade is great!

Damn you guys!! Now everytime I read about some new upgrade on this site, I'm going to HAVE TO do it! lol...

You're going to get me banned from this site by my wife! :crazy:

The Y-braces, the upper control arms, and now this steering shaft... you're are 3 for 3.

My guess is the Herb Adams leaf spring mod will be 4 for 4...

Now, the only thing is, I was starting with worn out rag joint, so I don't know how much of the feel improvement has to do with simply replacing a worn out part.

http://nastyz28.com/threads/intermediate-steering-shaft.316681/page-3#post-3621231

But frankly the steering on this car feels every bit as precise as the rack and pinion on my wife's '17 QX60. The rest of the steering linkages are all brand new and the AGR box is still nice and tight after 20 years, so this is about as good as it's going to get. But probably can't ask for much more out of a 47 year old car than this with just bolt-on parts.

And the dampener doesn't at all feel any harsher than even the loose rag joint.

Clearance issues between dampener and frame only required me to trim about 1/8" off the set screws. I have about 1/32" clearance now which is plenty since nothing on this set up is going anywhere once it's all tightened down.

100% concur with Rayden and Largestar... very much worth the extra money IMO... and it looks bad a$$ to boot under the hood compared to the stock set up. :bowtie:

2. Rayden2009

Rayden2009 Member Gold Member

May 12, 2016
    Calgary AB
    Ya I don't know what I like better; the look or the feel. Glad everything worked out. Lucky you being able to drive right now. I have 2’ of snow outside. I am optimistically waiting for May once all the gravel is cleared off the streets.

3. Rayden2009

May 12, 2016
    Calgary AB
    You can also rebuild your old shaft like the post earlier in this thread and sell it. There is still a market for the original parts on ebay

4. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Yeah I'll probably do that... it'll offset some of the cost of the upgrade. There's now way I'll ever go back to stock now anyway.

5. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Man, I CANNOT believe how absolutely glued to the road this car feels now with the steering shaft, Y-braces, and tubular UCA's (w/ the ~6° caster)...

Went out last night and briefly hit ~100 mph on some open freeway (not "perfectly smooth" road either.

Not to say it wasn't pretty good before with the Hotckis springs, heavy sway bars, and the basics like that. But it's night and day different now. I swear, if you were to close your eyes, it absolutely does not feel like you're driving a nearly 50-year old car.

Where it's most noticable is encountering bumps and uneven pavement when going around long sweeping turns at high speed like transition roads between freeways. Before, the suspension would react a little squirlely on rebound after hitting a bump while in a turn like that. Now it just very calmly goes over them without any fan fare (much like late model cars now).

yeah, I'm astounded at the difference...

For $750 worth of upgrades, those three items were huge amount of bang for the buck...

NeoNeuro likes this.
  6. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    Thanks for reporting, and the testing!!

7. bucco47

bucco47 Veteran Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Tampa, FL
  8. franks70camaro

franks70camaro Veteran Member

Jul 6, 2009
    fayetteville nc
    saw this write up i know its very old but want to do the same to my 70 camaro rag joint is gone i like this u joint idea can this idea be used with a stock steering box?

9. Rayden2009

May 12, 2016
    Calgary AB
    Yes, you just need to confirm the steering box input connection.

10. franks70camaro

franks70camaro Veteran Member

Jul 6, 2009
    fayetteville nc
    what do you mean by that ????