interior interchange

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by craig antosh, Apr 12, 2017.

1. craig antosh

craig antosh New Member

Apr 12, 2017
    been searching through the threads and could not find much information other than the center console not fitting between the years so my question is does anyone know what interior will swap out without any issue reason I ask is I have a 73 Camaro with most the interior missing and have access to a complete 78 Camaro that has been wrecked but the interior is nice and complete any information would be helpful thanks

2. paintman65

paintman65 Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Brenham TX
    Everything except the rear sail panels will interchange.
    Door trim panels are different too, but they can probably be made to work.

NOLAZACK likes this.
  3. craig antosh

craig antosh New Member

Apr 12, 2017
    OK thank you for the answer and just wanna be clear the dash and dash pad and gauge cluster is all the same and will adapt with no problems

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    There were two different dash pads... A/C and non-A/C for the 70-78 Camaros.

Passenger seat tracks changed due to the catalytic converter changing the floor contour.
    Interior door panels (as mentioned above).
    The center console mounts are probably different.
    Seats and belts should interchange if you swap passenger seat tracks.
    Headliner is different but should interchange also.

Good Luck with your project!

craig antosh likes this.
  5. NOLAZACK

NOLAZACK Member

Feb 7, 2017
    @craig antosh Im doing the same as you. I have a 70 that was gutted but i bought a 79 wrecked but running and complete. Im gonna switch out everything to the 70.

@paintman65 thanks for the input on the rear sail panels. i was of the assumption they were the same all gen2. I will have to see if I can save my 2 that were in the 70 and re-dye.

6. craig antosh

craig antosh New Member

Apr 12, 2017
    Was wondering if you had any updates on how the 79 interior is fitting into your 70 camaro the car I was looking at fell through was not able to purchase it but have recently found a 79 z28 that's the same all the interior is there but it's been hit pretty good and not running thanks for any info you have

7. NOLAZACK

NOLAZACK Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Hello. The dash and all are direct bolt in. That as far as I got. Another poser replied that the rear sail panels were different. My 70 actually had those so Im gonna try and dye them. The 79 interior is complete and perfect dude. Carmine red. The only issue is finding cans of the dye. Aalso, Im wanting to keep the 70 console and horseshoe shifter. But I have the 79 just in case. Ill try and add photos to the thread.

8. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Have you tried an auto paint store in your area ? or Eastwood products ?for the die.

9. NOLAZACK

NOLAZACK Member

Feb 7, 2017
    My friend who is building my car is a master upholsterer. But, the SEM Carmine red is hard to find. Most people are mixing reds to try and match. I found one product a week ago in vynl so i may go custom and wrap all the panels. Thats the plus of a best friend who paints and does upholstery. But either way, if I find something close Im gonna just dye everything to ensure color match. Even though only a couple pieces need dye.

10. NOLAZACK

NOLAZACK Member

Feb 7, 2017
    We did a mock up of the inerior and all fit except for the rear sail panels. I used the doors off of the 79 so the door panels will not be an issue. However, someone at the shop broke my original sail panels now i have to buy more and get my friend to make a custom headliner board.