Interesting way to find a bad alternator via electric choke

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by calflan, Dec 3, 2002.

1. calflan

calflan Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2001
    Marana, Az USA
    Interesting find today. Pretty cold out this morning (by Georgia standards) and car would not come off choke - stayed at approx. 2000 RPM in nuetral. Checked out choke and was spring loaded to engage throttle, so RPM would not settle down. Checked for voltage at leads to electric choke (which I tapped off of at brown lead off alternator) and found no voltage reading. Ground was good to choke.

Turns out alternator is toast. Nice way not to end up with a dead battery down the road some wet night.

------------------
    '77 Sport Coupe
    http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=681680&uid=502588&members=1

[This message has been edited by calflan (edited December 03, 2002).]

2. 76L88

76L88 Veteran Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Aberdeen, SD
    Is there any possible way tying the choke to it caused the alternator to go bad? I doubt a choke is that big of a load but was just wondering if anybody knew?

------------------
    76 Coupe, now engineless.
    86 Z28

"If it aint rusty, it will be"

3. calflan

calflan Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2001
    Marana, Az USA
    I don't think the choke can do that either. In fact, I had little if any radio interference for about 8 - 10 months, then suddenly one day I've got quite a bit of it. I think at that point, the alternator was starting to give up.

I mentioned the choke find because I do not have an ampmeter or voltmeter working, so I'd have found I had a bad alternator when one day my battery was toast.

------------------
    '77 Sport Coupe
    http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=681680&uid=502588&members=1

4. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    See some cars, Fords?, have a separate winding in the alt to power the choke. So it only pulls off when engine is actually running.

5. calflan

calflan Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2001
    Marana, Az USA
    Same on this, that's my point, with no voltage on choke wiring from alternator, choke never kicked off. Lack of volts was due to bad alternator.