intake manifold

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by CHEVYNICK58, Nov 11, 2015.

1. CHEVYNICK58

CHEVYNICK58 New Member

Nov 2, 2015
    spokane washington
    I have a chevy small block aluminum manifold and want to strip off the black paint does anyone have a good way to strip it?

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Just plain paint? Chemical stripper will be easiest, then power wash. Media blast will probably look better.

3. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    Factory intake black of some sort? Could be hard to strip with chemicals. Blasting might be the only solution? Then getting all the blast media out of it is a chore that has to be done perfect. Might try some lacquer thinner, keep it wet for a while. Sometimes that baked on paint will come off, sometimes it just won't.

4. gin man

gin man Veteran Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Morris, Il
    I tried something called CitriStrip that worked very well and wasn't as harsh as normal paint remover. I got it at Home Depot although I assume you can get it elsewhere.

5. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

6. 408maro

408maro Veteran Member

Nov 27, 2008
    San jose,CA
    Paint stripper from parts store. I used a few different ones but Napa brand works pretty good

7. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Are you wanting a nice, clean bare aluminum manifold when you're done?
    Once it's painted... stripping it completely clean is very difficult.

Oven cleaner works but it will discolor the aluminum if left on too long.
    (Then.. You're looking at repainting it for sure.)

I've used citri-strip on several old metal parts and found it worked quite well.

Once it's cleaned of paint.... Wipe it down with mineral spirits, spray it with aluminum paint and clear it.
    Then be EXTREMELY careful about getting gas on it.

8. Burd

Burd Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Detroit Mi
    I believe crushed walnut shells were used on a part I had restored at a Corvette shop. It didn't change the Patina. I had a dist for my buddy's 70 Z done like this too.

9. bfendick

bfendick Veteran Member

Dec 3, 2006
    Vernon, BC
    I had aluminum rims shot with glass beads and they came out very nice and smooth but then need to reseal with clear coat, should work with the intake.

10. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    when using stripper cover whatever with plastic sheet after aplaying the stripper. Will let the stripper stay wet longer so it can work better, longer.