Intake Manifold cleaner

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by Canoe58, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    I used oven cleaner.

I can't recommend it.... If you leave it on too long, it stains the aluminum darker.

I ended up painting it with aluminum and clear.

2. spicewood1

spicewood1 BANNED

Jul 16, 2001
    NC
    Send it to me, I'll glass bead it for free. Low pressure and fine media will make it look new. Get all the wet oils off it first please.

3. Camaro11

Camaro11 Veteran Member

Jul 10, 2003
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    If you want it cleaned, and it will never stain again, have it hot-tanked at a
    local machine shop. THEN: Have all of the non-machined surfaces shot peened.

The shot peening process seals all of the pores in the Aluminum. All you need to have to wipe up oil/gas on the manifold is a paper towel. Glass beading is good, but shot peening seals up the entire manifold.

I've used Edelbrock manifolds for years... and they always develop little 'oil collections', even though I know that my manifold-head seals are tight.

4. night rider

night rider Veteran Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Bremen, Ga
    I use White Lightnin' Aluminum brightener/cleaner. It's an acid based alum cleaner
    http://www.huntersales.com/shop-s/index.php?categoryID=102

If intake is too stained for that to clean it up nice, I use a grease remover like purple power, then just paint it with dupli color cast coat alum 500* engine paint. Looks just like the new color of alum intakes but seals intake so oil/fuel will not stain it again

5. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2009
    BUFFALO, NY
    I've used CLR or diluted Lime-Away. It will get all the white stuff off, but then you have to protect it. I then would use this......

http://www.s100.com/s100_cp.htm

I use this on my bare cast Harley engine. It works perfectly!!!

Hopefully this will help you out.

6. Bigdog

Bigdog Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 30, 2006
    Lake Jackson, Tx.
    I just had one done in a tumble roller.
    The media in it was small pellets, very hard like ceramic.
    The finish is clean and smooth now and should not "catch" any oil or grease now and should wipe right off.

7. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    I checked the Edelbrock page...they recommended OxiSolv Aluminum Cleaner, a former product of Eastwood...or who ever Eastwood repackaged it from. This would seem to be the best open-pored material product, but it doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Evapo-rust is the other item recommended by Edelbrock. Be careful if you do a search; some clever company has used the name without the dash in it to lure you to their product!

I am considering glass-beading to seal the pores on the manifold. It won't be as cast, but it will be easier to clean with all the oil and gas that seems to end up on the manifold!

8. cutty

cutty Veteran Member

Dec 12, 2008
    ontario canada
    i use duty bright, its made for aluminum and stainless stain, cleans it really good, but is a acid, we use it on transport trailers at work