Intake Manifold cleaner

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by Canoe58, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Canoe58

Canoe58 Veteran Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Im looking for a cleaner to take the fade/age off a one year old Air Gap intake. Everyone i have spoken to knows of none. If there is none what would I need to do to ensure in the future that the intake looks in new condition or close to it. Have no problem pulling intake and sending it to a pro.

2. Keizer

Keizer BANNED

Jan 17, 2005
    Wa State
  3. Danish Guy

Danish Guy Veteran Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Denmark
    May be Hillbillystyle but worked great for me....
    I recomend to have the manifold of the Engine for this!!
    Take some hydrochloric and brush it on the manifold use good rubbergloves and some glases you dont want to get that stuf in your eyes!
    Let it work for 15-20 min and then clean it of with plenty of water and dish soap!
    Now dry it and With Compressed air and take a look if was not enough repeat it.
    Take care and have fun!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  4. High Country Z

High Country Z Veteran Member

Never tried this myself, but I've seen people use foaming oven cleaner. Must be off the engine. Pre-clean it the best you can, then spray it with oven cleaner, let it sit for 10 or 15 minutes, then rinse off with pressure washer.

5. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    I've used mag wheel cleaner to clean an intake and it came out pretty good. I don't remember what brand it was but it smelled just like the chemical we used on AC units, kind of citrus smell, sort of.

6. crailbait

crailbait Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have always used carb cleaner to clean the outside of an intake. This was for minor dirt and oil. I dont know how bad your intake is...

Jeff C.

7. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Same thing I used, think it was Mothers brand. I have some left and can do a check-see if needed. Stuff works real good.

8. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

As others have stated, mag wheel cleaner by Mothers or Eagle One is your best bet. The product you are looking for is acid based and is an etching cleaner for cast aluminum products. If you have any polished alumimum nearby, DON't USE THIS!!! as it will dull the polished finish!

Instead, use a carb or brake cleaner on a towel and dab the areas or spray directly but carefully and rinse.

9. Javelin3o4

Javelin3o4 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Concord, CA
    I took the easy way out and just cleaned and painted with VHT Hi-Temp black wrinkle finish.

10. Skaal-tel 79

Skaal-tel 79 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jun 20, 2004
    CFB Petawawa, Ontario
    I have an air-gap as well and was hoping for a miracle fix too -- any kind of fluid leak or spill and the valley under the runners gets hopelessly filthy. Engine heat cooks anything on there into the toughest gunk I've ever seen.

I've tried engine de-greaser and it worked fairly well. I think the secret to any cleaning of this part is to get a good long-handle brush in there and scrub scrub scrub.