Intake Manifold Casting 14057053

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by david.rosol, Dec 24, 2009.

1. david.rosol

david.rosol Veteran Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    I have a few intake manifold questions... Is there a particular intake manifold that was used on 1980 Z28's, or did Chevy use different ones? I am asking because I have an aluminum spreadbore intake my brother gave to me, and I'm not sure if it's what would have originally came on my car (1980 Z). The casting number is 14057053. I researched the cast number and it showed it was used on 78-85 camaros, and a few other vehicles. What Camaros would this have actually came on? How do I know what type of intake was used on my car? I have the factory build sheet, and don't see anything indicating what type of intake came on it. Also, if it was used on the 80 Z's is it worth a damn to use, or of any value? Right now I do not plan to use it because I'm fond of my Edelbrock Performer intake, but if it's something that possibly came on my car, then I'll store it with some of the other original parts I have for the car. Any insight?:cool:

2. david.rosol

Jul 2, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Merry Christmas to everyone... I hope Santa was good to everyone...

Here is a picture of the intake manifold I have in question:

[​IMG]

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    According to my book, 14057053 is from 80-85 Caprice and Impala. It also may have been used on 82-85 Camaro and Monte Carlo of the same era along with any other GM car using the Chevy 305 engine.
    I have owned 3 different 85 Caprices and they had that intake on the 305s. Also, my Brothers have parted out another 6 or so of the 83-85 Caprices with this intake.
    The 81 Z28 used a similar aluminum intake 14014432,
    The 80 Z28 used a cast iron intake but I don't have the number for that one.

4. david.rosol

Jul 2, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    The only intake listed for the 80 Z28 is cast number 14014440 according to the following link:

http://www.nastyz28.com/camaro/z28lm1.html

Where I read that this particular intake in question came on 78-85 Camaro, Passenger cars, and trucks - both 305's and 350's is the following link below - but even I know this probably isn't gospel, and your book may be more accurate... what book are you using if I may ask?

http://www.nastyz28.com/sbcmenu.php

I believe my brother did pull it off his mid eighties Monte SS, but I'm just curious what the possiblility of some of these actually coming on an 80 Z28 or other Camaros between 78-81 is... (maybe the Turbo Z's or Yenkos?) what Camaros - if any - could these intakes possibly come on during those years - for them to be listed in the link above as coming on those Camaros if the link were correct? Were all LM1's built with the standard 14014440 intake, or did some of them like those special cars I mentioned above get the aluminum treatment? It is highly doubtful one of these came on my car and was probably the cast iron one, but, how can I tell by my build sheet what actual intake came on my car?

5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    The build sheet won't show the intake or any other engine parts used in the assembly of the LM1. We would need to find information from the engine assembly plant to see what parts went into any particular engine.
    As far as I know, Chevy used the same intake on every LM1 for the Z28. To meet emissions and get EPA approval, the engines had to be the same as the one tested that got the EPA approval rating.

6. david.rosol

Jul 2, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Yeah, I kind of figured all LM1's were built the same with the same components/cast numbers... I was maybe thinking this could have been used in special performance case scenarios... or something.

My build sheet just says LM1 in block 107... then there's also an engine code of CEU on there as well in block 26. I'm not sure what CEU is, but I'm sure it just means plain jane LM1.

Thanks for your insight Gary S, and I hope you have a Merry Christmas... I guess I'll just slap this thing on ebay or Craigslist and sell it to someone who could use it... it's doing me no good except making me ask questions.:crazy:

7. pdq67

pdq67 BANNED

Jul 26, 2001
    Columbia, MO, USA
    "The 81 Z28 used a similar aluminum intake 14014432"

My extra is the -432 also.

Thx, wondered what it fit?

pdq67

8. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Philly area
    The aluminum QJet intakes aren't worth any power over the cast iron ones. They started using them when they started caring about the weight of the cars (fuel economy). I've only seen the aluminum intakes on stuff from about 81-82 on up. Not saying they couldn't have been used earlier, just I've never run into one.

I'm sure GM had enough hair-pulling with aluminum parts back in the 60s that they swore they would never build another engine casting in aluminum ever again. Until they were forced to by fuel economy/emissions standards.

Cast iron is nearly inert- it doesen't move much, it doesn't warp easily and it doesn't fatigue or crack as easily. And it's cheap to manufacture. It's ideal for building a cheap, rugged engine that a manufacturer can screw together one time at the factory and not worry about much thereafter. No wonder they stuck with it for so long.

Heck, even the technology-flagship Corvette didn't get aluminum heads on it until the mid 80s! That's stuff that is taken for granted today (nothing has cast iron heads on it any more) but back in the day it was like StarWars technology on a domestic production engine. Aluminum is great for weight savings, but for everything else that a design engineer cares about, it sucks.

9. pdq67

pdq67 BANNED

Jul 26, 2001
    Columbia, MO, USA
    "(nothing has cast iron heads on it any more)"

And the aluminum heads still crack!!

pdq67