Instrument Cluster Lighting

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by BryanG1959, Oct 12, 2017.

1. BryanG1959

BryanG1959 New Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Hi guys, I've been having an issue with the cluster lighting since I bought the car 6 yrs ago. Problem is that the cluster lights turn on with ignition, not the switch. Switch has no effect on them. Grey wire on pin 5 of the connector gets 12v with the ign on. I've gone thru the prints to try to narrow it down but they take me to the fuse box and can't seem to trace it beyond that. Anyone familiar with this?
    Thanks.

2. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    I don't know,maybe the gray wire is hot all the time when the key is turned one. What you may be looking for is the black wire coming off the cluster,ground. This wire when unhooked, the lites should not work,I thank. I thank it then goes to light switch,then maybe to back of whipper switch,and then to ground behind it to metal.If the lites still come on with this wire off before the switch,your cluster is grounded thru some other garage or lite.maybe,maybe.

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Grey (#5 on plug) should lead back to the output side of the small fuse (3 amp?) in the fuse block.

That little fuse should only get power when the headlight switch is pulled to either the parking lights or headlights position.

4. BryanG1959

BryanG1959 New Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Yes, I traced it back to the fuse but found that it is getting power with Ign On, regardless of switch position. Haven't been able to locate on the schematic how it gets from the switch to that fuse.

5. BryanG1959

BryanG1959 New Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Believe I may have found it online. Looks like it's the Dark Green wire from the headlight switch that goes to the other side of that fuse.

6. Twisted_Metal

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
  7. BryanG1959

BryanG1959 New Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Atlanta, Georgia
    It's a 70. When I get a chance to get back to it I need to see where it's actually wired to. PO may have altered it or it has a short somewhere. Hopefully I don't have to pull the fuse box. Thanks Twisted_Metal

8. BryanG1959

BryanG1959 New Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Had a few minutes to check into it this morning. Found that the Red, Orange and Dark Green wires in the headlight switch (with switch removed) have 12V on them with ign switch in the run position.

9. Twisted_Metal

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Was the cluster changed to a gauge setup?
    Does it have an Ammeter gauge?

Something may be feeding the green wire back through the grey wire.
    Like a loose, crossed-over tab on the back of the cluster?

Need to know whether you have gauges or idiot lights.
    The two are wired quite differently.

10. BryanG1959

BryanG1959 New Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I have gauges. As far as I know they're original. Could be a short in the harness. Considering the age of the car and not really knowing the PO, anything is possible. I tried ohming the switch harness. Green shorts to the blue and brown wire. Seemed to occasionally ohm to the Orange as well. When I get a chance I'll probably be pulling that section of the harness out for a thorough checkout.