installing lower control arms

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Chuck71RS, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    - - front bushing back side extends beyond the frame and would not install as far the edge of the metal through tube for the bolt.
    - - Rear bushing goes inside the frame and into position that the bolt can be inserted

The factory installed lower control arms of the 1971 RS were blasted and power coated. An auto repair shop installed the new bushings and ball joints. Both Moog

The bushings are flush against the frame.
    Checked Rockauto and the bushings are the correct ones for my year Camaro

Shaving off some the bushing rubber is not an option for the metal through tube for the bolt is close to the outer edge of the bushing.

Is enlarging the frame opening my only option? Maybe the enlarged opening does not have to go in very far
    If so, how can this be done? A pipe wrench might but the frame metal would be uneven. Sledge hammer in a wood wedge?

2. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Both LCAs are in. Used a 5lbs sledge hammer to enlarge the openings. Struck the frame a few times then test fit. Repeated quite a few times till they went in.

Strikes me funny that I would a sledge hammer to rebuild my Camaro. To paraphrase the Grateful Dead..... "what a long strange rebuild its been"

Now onto the springs