installing coil springs

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Chuck71RS, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    It will work but one final detail of how do I tell when the end of the upper coil is in the right location?

The spring is attached to the tightening rod with just enough tension on the arms to hold the top of the spring against the frame yet the spring can be turned. The spring inside diameter is outside the edge of the round short lip on the frame around the shock hole.

The frame has is an edge the end of the coil is supposed to be against. I can rotate the spring but was never sure when (or if) the coil end was in contact with the edge.

I did tighten it up twice (1/2" drive ratchet) most of the way with no problem but I could tell the end of the coil would not be in the right position. So get the positioning right for the top coil end and the springs should install with no more problems. (But then Custer did not think there were any Indians behind the hills).

2. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Athens, GA
    This is exactly how I've always removed and installed coil springs. Never been an issue.

3. phat80

phat80 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Victoria BC
    I imagine you are finished this project by now, but just for those who follow: If the lower end of the spring is clocked properly in the LCA the top of the spring will be where it is supposed to be.

I feel your pain man...I ended up dropping the LCA, inserting the spring up into the frame strapping it in place and then raised the LCA as a unit into the frame horns.

4. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    There are many parts to a vehicle that I will and can do. One that I leave to professionals is front coil springs. EVERY time I've done them I say after it's done, "I'll NEVER do a front coil spring again!".

My local mechanic charges me $50 to install them. It is the best $50 I've ever spent.

5. rocket dawg

rocket dawg Veteran Member

May 5, 2015
    Grand Rapids Mi
    I did them twice on my car. First set sat too low and settled even further. 2nd set was shorter to begin with but yielded the correct ride height ( Moog Springs) I did it both times w/o any compressor tool. just a jack. I had no problem doing it this way but I will never attempt it again. I like the way my face looks 100% stock, not modified. lol