installing 700R into my 73 Z28, Ideas ?

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Lou6t4gto, Dec 28, 2017.

1. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    just file dowh the metal plate so you can get first, but you still wont be adle to hold it in first. I got my cable from a salvage yard like ever thing else. I thank it came from a 84 truck

2. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    Are you not using one of these?? Well worth the money if your not

DSCF3543.jpg DSCF3544.jpg DSCF3545.jpg DSCF3546.jpg DSCF3548.jpg DSCF3549.jpg DSCF3553.jpg DSCF3554.jpg

3. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    Unless you go inside the tranny,rewire it,Witch you can do ,but need to be done befor you install it, it will shilf out of 1st , can't hold a 700r in first . it shilfs out no mater what, there is a lot of vetio on this on inter net.

4. Joshua Price

Joshua Price New Member

Aug 13, 2017
    dont forget t about the kick down cable on carb if its not adjusted correctlty it will smoke the trans

5. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    I did a lot of research before installing a 700R4 into our 79 Camaro. The drive shaft needs to be shorter as the TH700R4 is 3” longer than the transmission that is in it (be it manual or TH350). That meant that it needed a 45.5” center to center of the u-joints long drive shaft. Amazingly (but not surprisingly) I found one in the shed out of all things, a 85 S10 two wheel drive Blazer! Cleaned it, installed new u-joints, and painted it black.

As for the cross member, you'll have to move it back exactly 2 3/4" and modify the center of the mount by elongating the hole. I put a whole new plate there, bolted it to the trans, put the cross member in, tack welded it, then finish welded it out of the car.

You'll also need a brake light switch that has a set of NO and NC contacts. The NO set goes to your brake lights, the NC set goes to the lockup converter circuit of the 700R4. Go to Bowtie Overdrive's web site. They have all the instructons for the wiring and what you need to do inside the trans at the valve body to hook the converter up to the brake pedal switch. http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/index.shtml
    I didn't use their kit but followed it to the letter and our 700R4 works flawlessly.

6. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

Nov 3, 2015
    PA
    I'm so spoiled by having a lift at work and all the goodies that make this so much easier. I just put a 2004r in my Monte Carlo. The 350 really wanted to stay in there. i fought with the top passenger side bolt alot. Hopefully that goes easier for you, being on the ground. If i had to do it on the ground, i would definitely go with the cribbing idea. Read up as much as you can about adjusting the TV cable.....improper adjustment will just ruin your day. I like the pan off approach to check to see the plunger is buried at full throttle. If shifting isnt anything but "normal" feeling, stop immediately. Jthomas was a big help on this for me. Dont buy a "kit" for the lockup. Its not worth it im my opinion. I have a toggle, brake switch (get one for a cruise control car), Vac switch, delay timer (to prevent "shuddering") and a 4th gear pressure switch. The brackets for the TV cable that go on the carb seem to be hit or miss, whether they need tweeking or not. i had to cut mine all apart and weld back together to get the geometry right.