installing 700R into my 73 Z28, Ideas ?

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Lou6t4gto, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Lou6t4gto

Lou6t4gto Veteran Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Ocala, Fla
    I've got my rebuilt 700r ready to go into my 73, I don't have the use of a "Lift" :-(, are there any "Tricks" to make R&R ing the 350 and putting in the 700 any easier ? I've got a floor jack, but being 70, "wrestling with it" might be tough. Thanks

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Harbor Freight floor model transmission jack, pays for itself 1st time. Swivel socket (9/16) to reach the top bolts, with impact gun, air or battery. Been there, done that.

Going to assume you've addressed the shifter, drive shaft and cross member issue.

3. Lou6t4gto

Lou6t4gto Veteran Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Ocala, Fla
    drive shaft is done, cross member will be moved back. Shifter I will have to figure out. anything you can tell me about that, I want to retain my stock shifter.
    The jack you are talking about is the one for about $200 ? (only going to use it once.) My main problem is I will be working Alone, so getting it "Onto" the jack may be a problem. how high does the side of the car need to be off the ground ? Thanks

4. orkin

orkin Veteran Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Georgia
    if you have a supply of 4X4s you could build cribbing under every tire and get some space to work, and have enough room to slide the transmissions with the jack out.

Attached Files:

5. CorkyE

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
  6. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    I am useing the org. shifter ,i did not fix the tranny so it would stay in low, you have to do that inside the tranny. After i put 700r tranny in i just cut the shilft plate inside back more, some so i could catch 1st gear and still catch park works fine ,But realy, no need to catch 1st gear. The tranny can't be held in 1st like a 350 could with out work inside it ,but will stay in pleanty long enough by adjusting the tv cable. You will be able to hold it in 2n an 3rd.

7. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You can do it the right way, and get a made in America trans jack.
    Instead of being a greedy leech handing your hard earned money to a POS country & business that hurts your country.

8. Lou6t4gto

Lou6t4gto Veteran Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Ocala, Fla
    I looked at the trans jack, problem being is, the trans jack at it's "lowest" is still 7 inches off the floor ! a waste.
    I used my floor jack, just had to get the trans onto the jack while under the car. (Not Fun).
    so if I just use the orig Shifter without doing anything to it, I will only not be able to HOLD it in 1 st gear ? (don't want to anyway). Now, to get a Longer Speedometer cable.

9. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

10. CorkyE

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    You're not going to like the floor jack while laying on your back, not a lot of room or leverage for the handle. Are you going to buy a transmission adapter for that jack? That will make it a bit easier.

For the shifter, adjust cable in the "D" and you'll won't be able to select 1st, so yes, you won't be able to hold the transmission is 1st gear. First on you selector will be 2nd in the transmission. Good luck with your project.