installation of 700r- speedometer ?

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Lou6t4gto, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Lou6t4gto

Lou6t4gto Veteran Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Ocala, Fla
    rebuilt a 1992 700r, it's bolted to the engine (1973 Z28), now I'm noticing that the Speedometer Cable is going to be a few inches too SHORT ! (the th350 that was in it had a "reduction box" at the trans tail housing for some reason) a 90 degree thing that is not 1-1. What is the longest 1 piece Speedometer cable with housing I can order for this set up ? HELP ! Thanks

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    You can get speedometer cables in just about any length you need for your application. Figure out the length you want and pick one up at your local auto parts store.

3. Lou6t4gto

Lou6t4gto Veteran Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Ocala, Fla
    that yellow one reminds me of my very first Camaro, bought it "off the lot" in 1970 (window sticker $4600. Baldwyn), yellow /black stripes, No Power Anything ! just power ! Those were the Days !
    trying to find a cable in the "local stores" is, well,.... just finding anyone with a brain that knows something besides how to punch "Keys" is almost impossible. upper /lower/ length,trans,engine, I tell them give me one 78" long, they get me a cut to length "inner" cable ! LOL seems people that actually Work On Cars don't work in parts stores.

4. speed_m5

speed_m5 Veteran Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Baytown Texas
    [​IMG]i just bought a extention off ebay when I did mine

5. Lou6t4gto

Lou6t4gto Veteran Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Ocala, Fla
    just ordered one of those locally, hopefully it will work for mine.

speed_m5 likes this.
  6. Lou6t4gto

Lou6t4gto Veteran Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Ocala, Fla
    The extension worked fine ! Just thought it should be mentioned that when you change "rear end gearing", you usually have to get a Different "Speedometer driven gear HOUSING". I went from 2.73 to 3.42 requiring a 45 tooth driven gear, so I had to order a new" Housing". What ever possessed them to make "3 different diameter shaft" driven gears ?! all they needed was 1 housing with all the driven gears shafts the same diameter. ( must have been a plot by the "bean counters") LOL

speed_m5 likes this.
  7. Gary S

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    The different diameter gears and housings are necessary to get the gears to mesh. Simple mechanical engineering tells you that you can't make a 7 tooth gear the same diameter as a 15 tooth gear and still have the teeth spaced and sized to fit the same drive gear.

8. Lou6t4gto

Lou6t4gto Veteran Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Ocala, Fla
    the "diameter" of the driven gear "SHAFT" will not change the "center line" of it. I don't under stand HOW you can use a 17 tooth drive and 34 tooth driven (for 2.72) and the same 17 tooth drive and a 45 driven for the 3.42. Isn't the hole in the hosing "centered " in both "housings" ?

9. Gary S

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    On the housings I've had in my hand, the hole is not centered. It is moved to fit the gears. Gears with smaller number of teeth are smaller in diameter to keep the teeth the correct size. For those smaller gears, the housing has its hole moved closer to the drive gear for proper mesh. The housings I have are plainly stamped with the number ot teeth gears that will fit and mesh correctly.
    The diameter of the center shaft of the gear is the same for all gears I have, but the position of the hole in the housing changes.

10. Lou6t4gto

Lou6t4gto Veteran Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Ocala, Fla
    OK movement must be very small, will measure it with a "MIC". Thanks