Inner door handle rod question "with picture"

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by buildinmy73, Nov 7, 2017.

1. buildinmy73

buildinmy73 Veteran Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Bernardston, MA
    Putting my inner door handles in my 73 and had a question ..
    Do these clips go on the door handle rod or are these for the later years ?
    Found em in my pile of parts .
    For the life of me couldn't figure out how they would go on the latch rod if I do actually need em .
    Thanks

IMAG1493.jpg

2. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    The end of the rod in your pic goes in the handle. The clip goes on the other end. Maybe someone has a pic of how it goes. Kind of hard to describe.

3. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    3F456046-434E-4B44-ADA4-0E9C4B3F5544.jpeg Third gen but same principle. Put rod in hole, put eye of clip over rod and snap other end of clip to rod on the other side of latch. I hope this helps.

4. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
    Yes you need them, they keep the rods from being disconnected.

5. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
    I think the one pictured does go on that end at the door handle. The one for the other end attaches to the latch. Maybe it is still on it. I'll try and get a pic tomorrow. My door panel is off and I have been intimate with these clips lately.

6. buildinmy73

Oct 20, 2007
    Bernardston, MA
    Thanks for the replys. .. I don't think the clip can go on the handle end as i tried it multiple ways ....
    And i don't see how it goes on the other end, as the other end of the rod is a sharp 90 with a small groove cut in it which pushes in a clip that's on the door latch assembly.
    I tried looking for pictures on here but most are gone due to photobucket being greedy.
    I seem to think this clip pictured is only for the 75-81 inner door latch assemblies which are bolted/riveted to the door .
    Also it looks like they were used on 67-69 camaros
    Can anyone verify this?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  7. buildinmy73

Oct 20, 2007
    Bernardston, MA
    Thanks for the great pictures...
    What year car is this from ? handles i'm referring to are the earlier ones .
    this door looks like a later one with the small handle thats bolted to door prior to door panel.
    I tried it like you have .. The problem is it wont fit like that when rod goes through the hole on the chrome door handle .
    the door handle has a raised knob like area on it which prevents this clip from fitting.
    it's hard to describe and i don't have my parts in front of me to take a pic.
    Once you slide the rod through you will see what i mean .
    Unless that clip is just to apply pressure ?

8. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    I would have to take my door panel off but I am 99% positive the clip is on the opposite end of the handle. The rod will not come out of the handle on my 70 when installed correct.