Inexpensive/Cheap upgrades

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by SMCZ28, Nov 11, 2013.

1. FunBobby

FunBobby Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Simpsonville, SC
    Honestly, I really thought it was temporary so they're not perfect - but since I like the way they look, I'll pull them back off and finish the job :) . They are so thin so the key is to slowly "tap" the dents out - I happened to have a "dent hammer" - I just flipped it over on a solid surface and tried to tap them out.

I use that hammer finish paint for so many repairs around the house - it does a good job of hiding imperfections.

2. Blu-By-U 79Z

Blu-By-U 79Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Kentucky
  3. BAmes79

BAmes79 Veteran Member

Nov 3, 2007
    Windsor, CO
    There's a thread on here somewhere with pictures and everything but I haven't been able to find it. So I can't claim the idea, just that it works.

Its called white hardboard: http://www.lowes.com/pd_16605-46498-300_0__
    Home Depot also carries it for about the same price. It only works to redo the later second gen standard door panels since the deluxe ones had stitching that went all the way through the cardboard. I just undid the staples and the old adhesive was already letting go and pulled the vinyl from the old backing. I then used the old backing as a guide, traced it onto the hardboard, and cut it with a jig saw. On the original vinyl there's another pad like material that was still good on mine so I just sprayed the adhesive to that and to the white board and after it was tacky, pressed it all together. I used hook and loop tape to secure the door panel to the door instead of the clips, its much easier and far less work and holds up great.

Hopefully that helps and gives a few ideas.

4. tlongwel

tlongwel Veteran Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Ohio
    Thanks for the tips. I have the deluxe panels but I will figure out a way to work around the stitching. I considered making my own panels out of fiberglass but this is a much easier alternative for me at the moment.

And that is awesome that you used hook and loop to attach the panel. I have actually been thinking of an easier way to attach it to the door since I have no door clips but plenty of creative materials that I can use as an alternative :)

5. tlongwel

tlongwel Veteran Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Ohio
    On another note, has anybody here actually soldered in LED's into the car? Or is everybody buying plug-in style. I would like to buy a baggie of LEDs that I can solder in, in place of the original bulbs. I have the skill to solder it, but I don't know how to put in an LED. So if anybody has any tips, I'd love to hear em.

6. Spellbound

Spellbound Veteran Member

Oct 5, 2013
    New Hampshire
    You have to be careful just buying LEDs. LEDs are diodes and diodes do not operate at 12v like lights - they operate at a much lower voltage which could mess up your other car items operating at 12v. Most automotive LEDs have a built in resistor which allows for the "resistor & LED package" to operate at 12v.

7. tlongwel

tlongwel Veteran Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Ohio
    ^yeah, I figured that. I remember a few years ago when I was just learning about them that they need one of those inline resistors to work properly. Didn't know they had them built into some of them though. Thanks for letting me know! I guess what I really want to know is, do you need some kind of "hole" board to hold them in place?

8. FunBobby

FunBobby Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Simpsonville, SC
    Perhaps I'm mis-understanding here, but they make 12v Led bulbs that are direct replacements for the original bulbs. (like stated above, they have the resistor built in). I bought a bag of them, they were cheap, and I replaced all of the dash bulbs. The dimmer switch doesn't really work like it did before, but if that's a concern, there is also a fix for that.

9. jroach

jroach Veteran Member

Apr 9, 2007
    petersburg MI
    now that i have done my dash lights, getting my courtesy and dome light working has moved way up the list!!!

10. Krator

Krator Veteran Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Canada
    Wow that looks cool man. I will look into that when the time comes.