Inexpensive/Cheap upgrades

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by SMCZ28, Nov 11, 2013.

1. ratpatrol71z28

ratpatrol71z28 Veteran Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Mantweeka, California
    I say the LED upgrades are one of the cheapest and most noticeable upgrades that can be done. Btw you can lower the rear with blocks.

2. BAmes79

BAmes79 Veteran Member

Nov 3, 2007
    Windsor, CO
    Door Panels, t-top headliner, and sound deadener

I redid both my door panels and headliner using the white board material from Home Depot/Lowes. It's about $13 for a huge piece and its more sturdy and durable than the original cardboard and close enough to the original thickness that it fits great. You just need your old card board from the door panels and or T-top headliner for a stencil, spray adhesive, jigsaw, measuring tape and perforated vinyl for the headliner and you're set. (Won't work for a normal headliner I don't think, but could be wrong)

Don't forget about Peel 'n seal from Lowe's for sound deadener either. Its identical to name brands but a portion of the cost and no shipping. Works great!

3. tlongwel

tlongwel Veteran Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Ohio
    ^BAmes79, when you redid the door panels with the white board stuff, did you just spray adhesive over the old stuff? Or did you remove or...?

Never heard of this whiteboard stuff. But my door panels are junk and headliner is non existent. And I love repurposing stuff..would love to hear how you did it.

4. Rich_NEPA

Rich_NEPA Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Northeast PA
    Don't forget to throw an extra LED in the shifter plate light too...when you do the dash lights, the original plate light looks really orange/yellow in comparison. I changed mine to blue LED along with the kick panel lights.

I changed my rear view to one that has map lights - pretty cheap and simple upgrade. I think at least one other member here (forget who - sorry) put one in that has the temp/compass in it too.

Here's a write up for the dome light I did - maybe it'll be helpful:
    http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240179

Dash LED pics:
    http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239831

Misc lighting pics:
    http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240558

5. SMCZ28

SMCZ28 Veteran Member

Jun 15, 2010
    United States
    [​IMG]

I honestly didn't know our cars had floor courtesy lights.... this just makes me want to go and buy some LEDs.

6. Blu-By-U 79Z

Blu-By-U 79Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Kentucky
    Anyone have the part numbers or a link to the style LEDs used in the dash? I might consider it.

7. barn find 79

barn find 79 Member

Jan 31, 2014
    Lenexa ks
    you can get all the led lighting at walmart

8. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.
    I had an old truck that I would paint every two or three years with Rust-O-Leum flat black enamel. The first time I did it, it looked 300% better than it did before. I think the last time I painted it, it ran me $40 for paint, roller (big and fluffy to hold plenty of paint) and some tape. I still had 1/2 a gallon of paint left too. Just take off what you can that you don't want to paint, tape over what you can't remove andclean it with a scrub sponge in dish washing solution then rinse good. before taping. Then start rolling. A couple of hours and it looks much better. Just tell people not to lean on it for a couple of days. They can usually smell the paint anyway.

9. FunBobby

FunBobby Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Simpsonville, SC
    When putting my interior together, just about everything was new, so my old sill plates looked terrible. I took a few minutes and knocked the dents out of them, then sprayed them with the silver hammered finish Rustoleum. I consider it a free upgrade since I already had the paint. I really like the look and may leave it that way.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  10. tlongwel

tlongwel Veteran Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Ohio
    ^Awesome. I will be doing that to my plates as well (they look like crap). Any special technique to getting dents out of something like this?