In search of my former 1974 Type LT Z28

Discussion in '1974 Specific' started by mgd1790, Nov 8, 2013.

1. mgd1790

mgd1790 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2003
    Suburban Chicago
    Hi,

Looking to reacquire my 1974 Type LT Z28. Originally, amazing survivor, optioned all the way, awesome car. Then the engine had a bad day, sold it to get through a semester of college, than I let the car go because I was an idiot. Anyway, looking to get it back.

VIN

1S87T4N145061

History

- Sold it to a guy, Rob Pitcher, of Pitcher Auto in Chatham, New York (Near Albany)
    - He got it going to sold it to a dude who got busted for some drug-related thing and they took all his crap. This was somewhere in Schenectady, NY. I talked with state, county and even some municipal guys and they remember busting some dude and taking his stuff but didn't tell me whose jurisdiction is was so it was tough to follow-up.
    - Local police friend in Illinois ran the VIN for NY and NJ and nothing came up but he said that didn't mean much as not all systems are 100%.

Anyway, looking to get it back if possible and would be willing to spend a fair price plus a finder's fee for whomever assisted within reason.

Thanks for any insight whomever has for locating the car.

MD

2. Sean 74Z

Sean 74Z Veteran Member

Dec 12, 2010
    MEMPHIS,TN
    have any pictures? and how long ago was this?

3. mgd1790

mgd1790 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2003
    Suburban Chicago
    Red (Medium Red / Hope its still that color / Orange tint when the sun hit it). Stripes, bumper guards which I usually only saw on Z's with no Type LT but mine had the LT, power windows, A/C, 3.42's (With A/C).

When I sold it, it was a shell unfortunately. I can ask the guy who I sold it to if he painted it another color. Mags weren't on it anymore either but could have been added.

I sold it in I believe 2004/2005, not exactly sure. I think it he sold it to a dude in 2006 or so. I talked to my cop buddy again today and when he ran the VIN in the police computer for NY and NJ it did NOT show up for those states as registered and that was only last year. He didn't run the other states. Not sure if they can. I might have some other sources to check that.

Who knows...

4. ls777z

ls777z Veteran Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Clay,NY
    In NY if a VIN hasn't been used in 5 years, if I remember correctly, it is deleted from the system. So it could still be here but hasn't been registered within that time frame.

5. vfitom2aol.com

vfitom2aol.com Veteran Member

Mar 2, 2000
    NE PA
    Try and talk to some car show guys or shop owners in NY. They will know where it is.......

6. mgd1790

mgd1790 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2003
    Suburban Chicago
    Appreciate the insight. I will start reaching out. I connected with one club in NY and a guy was like "good luck", not in a positive way, but I'm sure there's more than one club/group.

7. stroked383

stroked383 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Saugerties, NY
    I'll keep an eye out.

8. FunBobby

FunBobby Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Simpsonville, SC
    I'm afraid I won't be a lot of help way down here in S.C., but just wanted to wish you luck in finding it. If you check out my progress thread, you'll see that my project is a quest to get my Camaro as close as I can to the one I had when I was young...so I understand!

9. scot1074

scot1074 Veteran Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Prospect Ct, USA
    Hopefully its sitin in somebody's garage waiting for the owner to get around to restoring it like we see so many of. I wish you good luck! ope someone didn't get sick of it or crash it and put it in the junk yard. Reminds me can you check into if its gone to the junk yard?

10. Double J

Double J Veteran Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Michigan
    I'm a fan of the 74Z here's mine in met. red code 74.

Good luck with your search.

[​IMG]