I'm working on setting my garage up for sidework/camaro work

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by 1981gMachine, Jul 29, 2012.

1. 1981gMachine

1981gMachine Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Airville, PA
    Today we framed out 95% of the garage. Only spot left is above the garage doors and between them.

Next on my to do list is plan out for my wiring. Where I want receptacles, and place the locations of the air compressor and furnace. I will bring the Camaro back into my one bay tomorrow. But I plan on using my other as a work station til I get it wired, insulated, dry walled, and painted up.

Goal is to have it ready for dry wall within a month of today. Should be doable, but I do work 2 jobs and 7 days a week. Could be a stretch with jobs, working out and personal life... and add the cutting of grass. But I really want to get it done so I can tear into the car by winter.

My Remaining List:
    - Wire up ceiling outlets
    - Run 10/2 wire for the compressor
    - Paint Floor
    - Insulate walls
    - Drywall
    - Hook up air compressor
    - Install 2 or 3 stage filtration
    - Hook up furnace

Goal:
    - Be able to do side work. Which involves bodywork and painting of cars. I don't think I'll tackle all overs. But I will do an all over on the Camaro at some point as a test subject.
    - Have the space and air compressor setup to work on the Camaro. Bout time I put my skills into the car.

Few pictures from today:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Snapped a pic of my daily and the Camaro

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  2. twood

twood Veteran Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Glen Morris, ON Canada
    They look lonely waiting for you to finish...lol

3. Earlsfat

Earlsfat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Whut?
    DAMN... thats' nice.

4. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    So your building codes don't require headers over doors and windows?

5. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois
    Lets go fishing!!

6. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That may be ICF (insulated concrete form) walls with the 2 x 4 structure just providing nailing surface for drywall, it seems to be polystyrene behind the 2 x 4 wall, or looking closer it may be blcok, seems like aI can see some joints.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  7. ripcurl329

ripcurl329 Veteran Member

May 14, 2008
    Fredericksburg, Va
    looks like block to me....

looking good post up more pics as you go

8. 1981gMachine

Dec 28, 2005
    Airville, PA
    It's a block garage, the framing is more so I can insulate and keep heat inside. That and now the inside of the garage is truly square now. Will make it nice for hanging items on the wall.

9. 1981gMachine

Dec 28, 2005
    Airville, PA
    Tonight I bought:
    - 100amp panel box
    - 250ft of 12/2
    - 32 20amp outlets
    - 4 20amp switches
    - All the boxes and cover plates for the above
    - Box of 100 Nail Plates
    - Wire staples
    - 1" Wood bit

I also contacted my electric company today and will be filling out a form for them to send someone out to my house. I want to see how much it'll cost to run separate 100amp service to my garage. Will ask about 200amp as well, can return the panel box if needed.

Time frame, oh maybe 2 weeks to have it wired if that. I have a car show I'm attending next weekend. Also been busy polishing up the camaro. Trying to make the deadline for the calendar. Have 3 wheels to polish yet, wax, and polish my trim before I have my buddy shoot some pics.

Crappy cell pic of said items
    [​IMG]

The turd I've been polishing up. I hate buffing single stage and will be glad to get rid of it this winter.
    [​IMG]

I am stoked about my wheels. Haven't had them this nice in some time. Dirty on left, polished on right
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  10. sponge003

sponge003 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Concord, NC

The electric co ran mine for free as it was less than a 100' and I cut my driveway for them. It seemed that if all they had to do was trench, bury and connect the line it did not cost anything.