I'm trying to go completely wireless at the new house, Critique my choices please

Discussion in 'NastyZ28 Gamers & Computer Gurus' started by Knuckle Dragger, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    We will have four computers, two TVs and a printer running of the the wireless service. All of the computers are either streaming video or playing online games 90% of the time they are being used. I'd say the TV is streaming Netflix 50% of the time and usually while the computers are going. Right now I have three of the computers hard wired to an older router and the rest is Wifi. It works OK.

This is the new stuff I'm looking at. Please feel free to comment with any input or suggestions.

Router: Netgear Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Smart WiFi Router with 160MHz, MU-MIMO and Quad-Stream Technology

Adapters: Asus Dual-Band AC1900 USB Wi-Fi Adapter

Modem: Linksys Docsis 3.0 Cable Modem with Intel Puma 6 Chipset (16X4 Bonded Channels)

It comes to just under $700 for three adapters. I was hopping to keep it around $500.

2. King Itchy

King Itchy Veteran Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    Looks reasonable to me. AC wifi can be flaky at times on the client side, but you can run stuff that doesn't need the bandwidth/stability critical off 2.4GHz (802.11n) and the streaming stuff on 802.11ac.

I don't have that particular router, but they are all reasonably similar now. (I use an Airport Extreme)

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    It should all work for you, but $700 seems like a lot of money to spend on something that gives you the basically same capabilities as you have now running wired. I have 7 desktops and 3 laptops running on my network here. The desktops are wired and the laptops can go either wired or wireless. The 10 computers and network equipment total cost me less than $700.
    I don't use my wireless connection much so I'm no expert on what equipment is best for you, but the equipment you list should likely do the job just fine.

4. Javelin3o4

Javelin3o4 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Concord, CA
    Double check with your cable provider to make sure they will provision that cable modem.

The router itself is a pretty good one I've installed a few the range and wireless speeds seemed to be good as well. The only thing that I didn't care for on most of Nighthawk routers was some just seem to be slow to startup. I personally would keep as much as you can hardwired, get an additional gigabit switch if needed, but the router does have 4 ethernet ports unless you were planning on hard wiring something else. But Netgear Nighthawks or Asus are usually the routers I go to. Apple is no longer making routers.

5. zzzzz28

zzzzz28 Veteran Member

Who is your internet provider? Cox stopped selling the Netgear junk due to all the issues, and replaced them with Arris. I agree with Javelin...... much cheaper to keep your PCs wired and they will perform faster. That way you won't need the wifi adapters, especially if your at the 5ghz band. My laptops vary in speed from 35mps to 70mps, while my desktop that is hard wired hovers around 180mbs. I'm running 3 laptops (wireless) 2 televisions (wireless) 1 desktop (hardwired) 4 cameras (wireless) and have no issues with connectivity. Routers typically have 4 ports, and you can connect a switch if you need more.

6. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Milford,CT
    Personally...I would stay wired wherever possible, especially if streaming is the intent. (They say that is still true even to this day. The only ones who seem to tell you different are the wireless sales people). We stream two tv's and a computer wired, and wireless to a laptop, and three other wireless phones. The wireless ones are the only "glitchy" ones of the bunch. Also, if one port goes out on the router, everything else still functions as it should. (Not that failure happends much in these days). Just my honest $.02