Ignition Systems Question

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by camaro_1980, Feb 10, 2019.

1. camaro_1980

camaro_1980 New Member

Please pardon my ignorance, my mechanical background comes from dirtbikes and sleds. I’m just now getting into working on my Camaro. I’ve been looking at upgrading my ignition system, but in all honesty I don’t know where to start. Can somebody provide the theory behind the upgraded systems and what is worthwhile on a stock 350 that’ll soon be getting an intake/carb upgrade soon. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. 77 cruiser

77 cruiser Veteran Member

A stock GM HEI set up with the correct centrifugal advance & vacuum advance, is all you need.

3. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

^Agree^

4. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

Certainly don’t forget the highest quality set of spark plug wires you can afford and separate them carefully from potential sources of damage like the exhaust! The best engine end ignition system in the world is compromised with cheap spark plug wires!

5. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Wires. That's why I'm using Taylor 8.2 mm ignition wires part # 84001 (40 ohms per foot resistance) in my 1970 Z28. I feel the difference too.

6. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

An HEI with a good set of spark plug wires >MSD,Taylor ,etc.and spark plugs, all properly tuned.And depending on application a high output box MSD .Crane etc if needed,

7. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

I have replaced a lot of fat so called good spark plug wires like 8.8mm etc.
    Seems people think those fatter wires can take more heat and lay them on the exhaust.
    Do not do that.
    I have ran hundreds of thousands of miles on factory issued plug wires and never had any issues with them ..maybe because the fastest my street cars went is mid 11's in the 1/4 and nearly 12.0 compression and 7500+ rpm.
    Maybe I did not need an expensive aftermarket wire.
    Fact is the HEI with stock GM module and coil was 2 tenths slower than my single point distributor with CS89 point set and a 1982 Ford coil off a straight 6.

If your stuff is good there is no need to upgrade.
    I still run old GM HEI's and sometimes points when I run a tunnel-ram.
    Wires are now Belden or old solid core 7mm or whatever good factory wires I pull off a vehicle.

Do not over think it.
    I will say I drive my stuff like a teenager and like shifting at 7000 rpm or more.

8. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I run a locked out HEI and a MSD 6 on the race car, funny thing is it rune the same times with or without the MSD but the plugs stay cleaner. On my street cars I used to run the MSD ready to run distributors but after several problems I went back to points on one and different system on the other car. I have never had trouble with the older MSD stuff, just the newer stuff has been not so good for me anyway.

jeff swisher likes this.
  9. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

You mentioned spark plugs stay cleaner .
    My buddy ran the complete summit racing system with his HEI and he always had white plugs ..so he kept adding jet to the carb.
    We all went to the track racing and I took all my tuning stuff and he came over after many passes and said that he got all out of it she will not go any quicker.

I told him drive it over to me I want to change a thing or 2.
    I opened his carb and pulled a bunch of jet out..I leaned it down.
    White plugs and all.
    I told him go make another pass.
    He came back all happy and said it went 4 tenths quicker and asked what i did.

I told him that hot ignition system with multiple sparks is super cleaning the spark plugs and you can't get a reading off of them by just quickly looking at them.

We chased a misfire that was like bouncing valve springs or lean popping and turned out he had a 6000 or 6500rpm rev limiter dialed into that thing.

Very Funny!

1980RS likes this.
  10. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I used to do the same thing adding jet to get the plugs to color until I realized that unleaded fuel won't do that. One needs to cut the plug apart after a run and look at the fuel ring to see where it's at. I think I burned myself at the track last fall after the single plane swap on the peanut port engine. I did not jet down like a dummy as a dual plane will like more jet than the single plane. After the last run I pulled a plug, sure enough it was pretty dark in color so it most likely ran fat. Oh well live and learn, I will have a wideband O2 on the car this year to not have to waste the day tuning and enjoy racing a little more.

jeff swisher likes this.