Ignition cutting out

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Jreid2010, Dec 1, 2017.

1. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Test out the plug wires.

2. Jreid2010

Jreid2010 New Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Arkansas
    Plug wires were replaced already.

3. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Sometimes they come dead. Check the resistance of each and see if the same length wires have the same reading.
    My stock GM wires have tons of resistance and my new Taylor's are 40 ohms per foot.

4. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    There are a couple of items , that can act up then work, a fuel pump going bad, I doubt it, and a module in the dissy, can somethings start to fail, however, usually they also, just crap the bed and die, I still think a wire some where, is touching, randomly , and when it does, it shorts , however when you kick the gas you move it, so look for something that is not attached to the motor only, but something from the body/frame to motor , does the amount of gas in the car seem to have an effect, only happens when low/high?

5. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    If you can clear it up with a blip of the throttle it sounds more carb/fuel related.

6. Jreid2010

Jreid2010 New Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Arkansas
    p

7. Jreid2010

Jreid2010 New Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Arkansas
    I spend most of the evening going back through the wires to make sure everything is correct and ground is good. All electrical seems to check out. I drove the car for a few months before this problem started and I’ve had the carb tuned since that’s why I was thinking it’s not a fuel problem? Tonight as I was messing with it If I go to start it, after it’s been running, with no gas it does the detonation deal. If I start it giving it It gas I don’t have the problem?

8. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    A carb can run good one day on a tune and not so good the next. Turn in the idle mixture screws and note where they are set. 1.5 turns out is generally the setting. Bump up the idle some may help.

9. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    I agree with 80sz. It sounds to me more like a fuel issue than an ignition issue. An ignition issue will usually not clear up by giving it more gas. I would look more at the carb.

10. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    My first gut instinct was a spark box going wacky. I see you don't have one but I still suspect the distributor. I have enough Chevys that I could swap a distributor in about 10 minutes to rule it out. It would be nice to try a known good distributor to rule it out quickly.