If you can push the window down form the outside, is that bad?

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by Knuckle Dragger, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    I spent the day getting my window regulators in, and adjusting the door glass. It's getting late, I drive the car and I have issues with the drivers door glass. So long story short, I can push on the glass from the outside and the regulator spins and the window drops. Heck I can just slam the door and it will drop a inch or two. I can see the handle going round and round. :mad:

NPD has a replacement in the way for me, but I had to rant. :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. Keizer

Keizer BANNED

Jan 17, 2005
    Wa State
    Hmmmm, the regulator spring unwinds when you roll the window up, to help lift the weight of the glass. Sounds like your spring is shot.

Good call on buying a replacement regulator. It might also be a worn gear and sprocket.

3. Knuckle Dragger

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ

The trouble is this one was brand new, I just got it from NPD on Thursday. :( I did hear a pop before the issues started.:confused:

4. Keizer

Keizer BANNED

Jan 17, 2005
    Wa State
    Theres not much to a regulator. I took mine apart on my 73, including removing the large coiled up spring. Holy crap, bad mistake, and I am glad I only did it on the drivers side. That mother was a bear to get back in correctly.

If you heard a pop, what did the spring look like after you removed the regulator again?

5. Knuckle Dragger

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    It's still in the car. I have had enough for the day. I should have the replacement Tuesday or Wednesday, I'll deal with it then. It didn't sound loud enough to be the spring. There has to be some kind of detent to keep the window's weight from letting the window settle back down. I've never been able to push a manual window down by hand. The power stuff will move if the motor is out. I've pretty well got all the adjustments figured out now. I didn't realize there was a problem with the regulator at first, I adjusted it nine ways to Sunday before I found the real issue.

6. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    If I was you, before I went and ordered a bunch of new stuff I would go to a yard and pull the guts out a wasted junk door.

Done that a few times and even found a bunch of other stuff that was better than what was in my original door.

7. Knuckle Dragger

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    These are already new, the one just sucked. I have time to either work on the car, or dig up parts for the car. Last thing I want to do is spend the time in the yard drilling out rivets in the hot sun, for a part that regularly wears out and is probably no good or close to it. The new pieces were not outrageous.

I pulled the regulator today. No obvious damage. I do notice the teeth are not aligned perfectly, and rolling it one way it gets real loose and makes a lot of noise and almost skips a bit.

8. Skaal-tel 79

Skaal-tel 79 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jun 20, 2004
    CFB Petawawa, Ontario

My driver's side just started doing this too. No idea how, or why. Never used to open - sure makes getting keys left inside a lot easier than it used to be!

9. Strange81Z

Strange81Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 29, 2001
    Amarillo, Tx
    I bet you hate windows right about now! With all of the issues you had with the power windows, now this.....

For now...stay away from the BFH or you might do something you regret. :p