If any of you guys have engine swaps that still get tested, heads up.

Discussion in 'Arizona Region' started by Knuckle Dragger, May 2, 2017.

1. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    A break at the evap would effect emissions. The fuel (HC) evaporates into the atmosphere. Gluing it is a legitimate repair, we went round and round with California over repairing thermo vacuum switches back in the day. These guys do not understand how it works and are tagging anything out of the ordinary.

I had to hold my tongue in the ADEQ class. The person giving the class didn't understand the systems and gave incorrect theory and operation of many systems. If it's that bad at the top you can only imagine the rank and file guys. There is no education or experience requirement to get you testing license other then ADEQ's classes and test.

2. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

Dec 24, 2013
    tucson az
    you have to watch selling a vehicle with tampered emissions. the way it was years back, there is no max cost on replacing missing emission parts. If you yank the smog stuff, and sell the car later and the new owner fails the emission test because of missing stuff. the buyer can come back to the seller and by law the seller has to pay to have all the emission stuff put back on the car.
    We got a free car years back from a friend. went to smog it and it was missing the cat converter. I mentioned I just got the car and the guy at the ref station (they thought it needed a air pump). the tech told me the seller is on the hook for tampering with the smog equipment. jim

3. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ

Good point but I believe it will also depend on how you sell it. It's not automatic and would have be determined by the courts if you refuse to repair it. If you had a bill of sale stating it was not emissions compliant the the buyer acknowledges it I can't see how a judge could rule against you. Then again in today's courts who knows.

4. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    After reading this, I'm so glad we don't have inspections here.

71RSLS likes this.
  5. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    This is an excellent point that I never really took in to consideration. I've sold a couple of cars with engine swaps that passed emissions but would never want a situation like this to bite me in the rear.

6. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

Dec 5, 2017
    Prairie City, Ia
    I'm so glad we don't have these here yet either. Everything I have has some sort of engine swap done to it besides 1 truck and the wife's mini van. I don't look forward to any of those tests and the techs that perform them.